Goats/CD antitoxin

QUESTION: Hi, I have an approx. 4 month old goat, smaller breed, not sure which one it is, not tiny, is about 3 ft at the shoulder.
I have had him about 3 weeks, was doing great until today. I am guessing he ate too much sassafras and while in back, green thin foamy spit up, grinding teeth, shakes his head and calls out. Gave him .02ml Immune ST to help herbally, but online it was suggested to get CD antitoxin. Trouble is, no one here carries it. Tractor Supply here doesn't carry it either, ER vet doesn't treat goats. *sigh*
Are there any substitutes? I did see one guy that suggestd Milk of Magnesia, and might try that in an hour or so if I haven't heard anything and the symptoms are persistent.
I am hoping a little time and quietness will let everything settle. His stomach is not distended but does feel a bit full.
Thank you so much, look forward to hearing from you.

CD anti toxin is  something to keep on hand and unfortunately right now the manufacturer is out.. so folks are using the D anti toxin - mostly for kids..
BTW that is a BIG kid - boer? white body red head?

Sounds more to me with those symptoms like he has something caught in his throat - I would hold him upside down and shake him.. (has worked for me on occasional choking ) or try a Heimlich maneuver like you would  a dog

Look at these pictures off the web -

Check the mouth first make sure it isn't simple like leaves  stuck in back teeth.. but sounds like something in the throat

I wold try pepto bismol  though to coat the gut in a case of no CD antitoxin -  Milk of Magnesia will make him poop but not so much coating the gut.
I'd give a couple TBSPs

Keep him away from grain or anything for a few days.. hay only and keep an eye on him..

let me know..

QUESTION: Thanks for getting back so quickly. Can't see anything in his throat, still grinding his teeth but he has white foam around his mouth now. Not shaking his head any longer and not calling out. No luck with shaking him, he fought too much.
I am hoping the color change is good, maybe whatever is bothering him is passing it's way through?
When I got him, he was very thin, age might be wrong just so I would take him. (would have anyway, bad conditions) He's brown with white spots and a tiny bit of black with white boots and black near the hoof. Long floppy ears. Looks more like a deer than a goat.
I'm going to check a few more times, have to run out and pick up Pepto. In any case it can't hurt.
Thanks again, I'm kind of new to goats, have two rescues almost 2 yrs now but they are older. Young anything is a whole different game.

HI KAthy

Sorry I didn't see the addition to your question first time around -

Sounds like a nubian.. or nubian mix , they  are the breed with the long floppy ears

It can be tricky to hold them upside down..  I have struggled with adult goats before and I know first hand.. not easy :)

Glad the pepto worked.
Being thin can mean worm overload or  coccidiosis..
sending you a few links to read up on both of these.. and things to check
(eyelid color)  for anemia due to parasite overload

How to check for eye color  to see if goat is anemic.. (gum color  is not the way to check in case you had read it somewhere ) http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/

Deworming: http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/

Coccidiosis: http://goat-link.com/content/view/145/155/

Hope these articles shed some light on why he may be thin..

Have a great day!

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University