Goats/Large pet boar goat

I have a 8-10year old pet billy goat that has a baseball size lump on the front of his chest. I can move it around so it feels like it is in the tissue. He has been making a lot of noise the past month and climbing into the hay feeder in my old barn. I recently cut down drastically on their grain because I was told they don't need it during the summer if they have access to a pasture. Otherwise he is acting the same as he always has. Should I call a vet?

HI Laura -
Any time you see a lump appear  near the chest, face or other places common for CLA abscesses to develop, it is a good idea to have a vet do a check on that lump -  if it IS CLA  you do not want the  excudate to expel onto your property as it is highly contagious.  This is  season for  the bucks to become active.. all of mine are in the  mode of snorting, yelling and doing all those adorable buck  antics, so this may be a normal  thing.. not know what his vocals are exactly  I would assume this is what you are noticing. I would get him onto the vet, it is probably nothing BUT do not take a chance on this before it ruptures. In the case of possible CLA  safe is ALWAYS better than sorry.

CLA  article:  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University