Goats/runny nose and breathing heavily

my goat has a runny nose he is also breathing heavily and not eating at all, kindly suggest what should i do.

HI Waqas

Sounds  like he probably has pneumonia..  is he running a fever?  rectal temp should be between 101.5 to 103.5 - usually a goat will run a fever  over 104 - but the not eating along with runny nose and breathing issues suggests  pneumonia..
He should see a vet if you are not  set up for  medicating  - if you are , I have found Tylan200 over the counter  antibiotic works pretty well  for upper respiratory -  he would need injections  twice a day - I use Tylan200 at the rate of 1cc/ per 25lbs of goat so a 100lb goat would get 4ccs once in the morning and once in the evening injected SQ - if none of this is familiar to you .. call a vet today -  he will most likely inject him with a prescription antibiotic and send you home with some.  This can NOT wait.. call  the vet right away  and get him in today..

Let me know how he does.

If you choose to medicate at home without a vet visit, remember Tylan200 is NOT the same as LA200.. totally different  antibiotics.. and the LA200 does not work as well for pnenumonia as the Tylan200 - and expect  the goat  to holler a bit as it does sting when injected.. and yes it MUST be injected.. never given orally.

Info on Tylan200 -
Info on Pneumonia -

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University