Goats/Baby goat

Baby goat
Baby goat  
I have an eight day old baby goat the first day I brought him home I noticed his eyes was wet like he was crying I didn't think much of it but today he can hardly even open it I'm new to goats so I'm not sure what's going on I would appreciate any help I can get

It could be pinkeye, could be eye injury. Get a warm wet cloth and soak it to get the eye open. Then use Terramycin eye ointment in it 3 times a day. Other options are a drop of oxytetracycline 2-3 X a day, or you could try port wine the same way. In any event, go to the feed store to get the ointment or oxy. You should be able to fix it. Pinkeye is common in goats. Good luck.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law