Goats/Breeding our doe

Hello, we own a small Oberhasli dairy goat farm. We offer our bucks to breed only to the does that we have sold to previous customers of years past, and we have never had a problem. Right now, we are dealing with a doe that we were sure was bred over a month and a half ago. Our customer brought her over the beginning of December and we were present for 3 successful attempts by our buck to breed her. We were sure she was bred. But we got a call from that customer on Christmas day saying she was in heat again- about 21 days after she had been bred! We were unable to have her over on that day, so we waited for her next cycle, which was yesterday. She appeared to be in heat again, so the customer brought her over to be bred by the buck again. But the doe showed absolutely NO interest in the buck. She runs from him! And he doesn't even show much interest in her (although I know he'd do his job if she'd let him). We kept her over night to see if she responds better to him today, but if anything, she doesn't even look like she's in heat anymore! No tail flagging and mucous like yesterday (and there was barely any tail wagging and mucous yesterday either). I don't know what her appearance was when she went into heat on Christmas day, since I didn't see her, but her owner said she went through a typical heat cycle then. Is there a chance this is a false heat? Or should we force her to be bred by our buck? This will be her second freshening- she had no issues being bred last year. Thank you so much!

You could be describing my farm, except I have Oberians. I would say that the breeding did not take. I had a goat this year that also failed to settle. Then she had a normal heat, but we also were unable to get her bred at that point. The next time, her heat appeared to last only four hours and then she was over it, so that didn't work either. Finally, the next time as soon as she showed signs we got her bred. I would tell them to keep a very close eye and then get her to your farm ASAP. Also maybe she doesn't like the buck.  

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law