Goats/New Years Eve Injury or ?

On New years eve the neighborhood was really loud this year. I had moved my goats to an indoor area, because of the rain etc. a couple weeks ago. They have been fine. New years eve was a different story. They were very frightened and clamoring in the barn. Once the fireworks stopped they calmed down. In the morning when I went to feed one doe would not put her left hind leg down. Her hip area would quiver while she stood and ate breakfast. I took her temp, fine, she is pooping normal. I gave it a day and now it is two days and she is not much better. She does not want me to touch her hip area let alone her leg, so I am unsure of where the injury actually is. She will stretch the leg out behind her on occasion. She still has enough spunk to boss her little sister around. She will limp around on it if motivated by treats. She gets up and down fine. Just don't know what to do for her. What do you recommend? Also she may be pregnant.

Hi Cheryl:

She probably got knocked or stepped on by another goat who was also freaked.. (I hate fireworks like you my goats are terrified of them) I think I would wait and see for a few more days UNLESS it gets worse..  you can give her an adult aspirin 325mgs.. not advil or tylan.. only real aspirin.. to help relieve the pain.. but keep in mind.. it is the pain  that keeps her from over using the leg .. they  know what they are doing when they favor something like this..  if it gets worse or not at all better by midweek  - maybe a call to the vet for xrays.. Keep an eye on her temp.. and her  appetite.. If ANYthing changes  for the worse.. I would call the vet.. I had a large wether who fractured his hip.. he still limps  and it took months for him to  even get around normally.. but he is fine now.. there was really nothing I could do except pamper making sure he  had everything he needed relatively close by..  and give daily aspirin.. surgery was not an option and putting him down certainly was not..  they heal better than one would think.. over the years I have had many many broken legs that healed very well.. if you are uncomfortably concerned then seek the vet..  to reassure you and  possibly have an definitive answer.. if you are comfortable waiting.. then wait.. and see how this develops..  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University