Goats/nubian baby less than 24 hrs scouring

Question
baby goat born yesterday at noon is now scoutring pretty bad. It is the yellow color but do not notice any smell that I can tell. At first mom would not allow him to nurse, so i had to hold him and let nurse and as time went on it seemed like she may have been feeding him afer all. I noticed late last night that the black poo that is usually tar like thick was kind of snot consistancy so should have known.  I gave 2 cc sulmet what else to do?

Answer
So, generally yellow diarrhea is enterotoxemia.  Would give 2 cc of CDT vaccine (antitoxin is best but that has to be ordered online and even vets do not have it.  Giving 2 cc of the CDT vaccine twice, 4 to 6 hours apart can sometimes help.  Also would start on penicillin at 1/4 cc twice a day, given intramuscularly in the rear thigh if possible - have you given intramuscular injections before.  Would also start on pepto bismol at one teaspoon every 4 hours.  You can also try a biosponge type product, sometimes available at some feed stores, sometimes even at an herbal/natural feed store - this is a clay type product that sucks up toxins in the stomach and intestines.  Making sure he is drinking, electrolytes at this point so would start on a bottle if you can.  Hope this helps, let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres