Goats/Pregnancy toxemia

Question
QUESTION: We have a doe that has lost alot of weight during her last few weeks of pregnancy. She is due January the 11 or 12. She just grunt or moans like when we are around. She has started laying down and we cant get her up. She just drags her feet when she walks. She look like she is in alot of pain. She had a temperture of 104.2 the other day but we got that down to 102.5 today. She is eatting but its slowly and a little bit at a time. She wont eat any hay. She has been given calcium today as well. She looks real wide eyed. I was wondering if she could be experencing pregnancy toxemia.

ANSWER: Hi there - The temperature of 104.2 is a fever (anything over 102.5), especially if the weather is cold where you are.  Is this her first pregnancy?  What breed of goat is she?  Can you feel the kids still moving? Has she lost her pelvic ligaments?  Have her sides dropped?  Does she feel like she has more than 2 kids in her?  She could have ketosis/toxemia, for which giving her molasses water (1/2 cup of molasses mixed in with 1 quart of hot water) every 4 hours or so - if she does not drink it (most love it) then I would orally drench her with it.  The sugar in the molasses will help counteract the ketosis.  This also could be a pneumonia for which penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 5 to 7 days should help - needs to be given intramuscularly in rear thigh muscles.  Has she had any mucous or dripping from her rear at all?  She could have an intrauterine infection too for which penicillin might also help.  If you decide to give penicillin to cover for these two items she also has to have probiotics daily.  Since she is not eating well I would start her on probiotics now anyway (powder, gel or even yogurt works well) twice a day, and also give her 5 to 8 tablets of vitamin B complex (has B1/thiamin in it)- can't overdose on B complex so 5 tabs for smaller goat and 8 tabs for larger goat - given twice a day and you need to crush the tablets and dissolve in a little hot water, then cool and give as an oral drench.  The B1 helps keep her from getting polio (a secondary disease from not eating well).  You can always treat with the kitchen sink method, that is, give her all of the above items - the penicillin will not hurt her kids.  Is she pooping and peeing okay?  Is she large for her pregnancy?  Let me know - thanks - Donna

QUESTION: Her sides are showing. This is her first pregnancy and there is two that we know of and they are still live. She is eating some but no hay. She is a Boer goat. Her tail head is raised and you can feel her ligaments. She is looking but it looks like a humans not little balls she is also peeing good to.we are really worried about her. You can see her hips and spine. We have probios and I was about to go out and give her some of the molasses and some vitamins.

Answer
Thanks for the update.  Has she been wormed lately? It is sometimes difficult to tell exactly what illness a goat has, but with that said, treating her for all the above items will not hurt her or her kids.  Do you have any penicillin available?  Most farm/feed stores have this over the counter/no prescription needed.  20 gauge 1/2 to 3/4 inch length needles are best for intramuscular injections.  Have you given intramuscular injections before?  The B vitamins are just over the counter people type - if you can sometimes get B1 injectable vitamins at some feed stores.  What color are her lower inner eyelids?  Pink or reddish is good, whitish indicates her system is having a hard time working.  Let me know - glad you are giving the molasses and vitamins to start with.  Probios works great too as a probiotic.  Let me know - you are also welcome to call me at 360-742-8310 anytime.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres