Goats/Weak hind legs in kilometers d goats

Question
QUESTION: I read your answer dated 3/2015 recommending to give the selenium/gut D/vitE mix.  My son has markets goats & his doe kidded triplets in 12/30/16. The smallest kid is a buck & has the weak hind legs. He get was able to stand on day 4 but dragged both his hind legs. Day 9 he was walking on the right hind leg but dragging the left.  We researched & watched videos & put a splint on the left leg for 4 days. We do range of motion exercises with. 4 times a day. Today is day of life 18 and though he is able to get around well & he hops off his right hind leg he keeps the right leg back and stiff. He eats well off his mom, plays, has healthy coat & mucous membranes are pink. He has not had any type of supplements as I've heard horror stories about selenium. The mom is a healthywell cared for doe. One of the other triplets died from hypothermia but the other is very healthy. The doe kidded at 5 1/2 months sometime between 9 pm & 4:30 am in 1 degree weather with snow on the ground. Her kids were all under the loafing shed with lots of dry clean straw.  My question: Is it too late to give the sel/d/e mix?   Thanks  Cheryl

ANSWER: Sorry for the delay in answering, I must have missed the question notification.  

Especially if the doe did not receive her selenium/D/E dosing 4 weeks prior to kidding and there were triplets, that makes it fairly reasonable it is a selenium deficiency.  Also, if the doe was small and the buckling with the issue was being squished inside the womb by the other kids this can cause an issue with the legs.  

With that said, I always give my newborns (even when mom has had her dosing 4 weeks prior to kidding) selenium/E/D mixture.  It is the injectable Bo-Se that you need to worry about - the oral is hard to overdose on.  Do you need the amount or did you find that on one of my other posts?  Let me know.  And, in answer to your question, no it is not too late to give him the mixture.  

PS - the other items you have been doing for the little guy all sound great.  Donna

QUESTION: Thanks so much for responding. I have the dose & figured by one of your previous posts it would be safe to give. I literally just gave the 1st dose 45 minutes ago. I wasn't aware the does needed it 4 weeks before kidding. We have a total of 6 kids two sets of twins & the set of triplets. All are healthy & growing. Should I treat all the kids & the does? We have other yearling does who we plan to breed in August so the kids will be ready for the stock show where we live. Should I treat all of them? If so what would be the dose for the does? Thank you again so very much for responding. There are so many websites & it can be overwhelming & confusing. Cheryl

Answer
HI there - I give the dosing 4 weeks prior to kidding date to help with strong contractions as well as give the kids enough selenium to keep them from weak muscle disease/no sucking response and the instability of their legs and feet.  For adult goats (goes by age not weight), they receive 2 mg selenium(ten of the 200 mcg tablets) plus 1000 IU of vitamin E and at least 800 IU of vitamin D. I give all newborns their dosing (one 200 mcg selenium tablet mixed with half of the oil from a 1000 IU capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU E capsule - the tablets need to be crushed and dissolved in a little hot water then mixed with the oil (also knowing it does not mix well but is good enough).  If I see a kid goat not standing well or his hooves knuckling under or not sucking well then he gets a second dose in 2 days.  Some areas of the country have enough selenium in their hay and pasture so that the goats don't need extra selenium/E/D.  Even the selenium that is in most goat minerals is not enough to help with selenium deficiency.  If you have not had issues with the above items before then you could just watch the kid goats and dose them as needed.  Either way, it is not enough selenium/E/D to hurt them.  I continue dosing my herd throughout the year - giving them a dose every 3 to 4 months to help keep their hair coat in good color, shiny, bright and thick.  Hope this helps - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres