Goats/baby goat

My 9week old nebian goat cut his ear what can I give him for infection

Cleaning the wound well, and cleaning every day with hydrogen peroxide, along with use of human antibiotic ointment and a gauze wrap should help for healing.  For the infection would use penicillin injectable - this is given intramuscularly in the rear thighs.  Give 1 cc to start with and then 1/2 cc twice a day for 5 to 7 days.  Have you given intramuscular injections before? During the time he is on antibiotics the goat also should have some probiotics daily - you can either use probiotic powder mixed in a little water and given orally or use human yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon given orally.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County