Goats/baby goat poop and bottle feeding

QUESTION: i have a baby pygmy and its bottle fed. the lady before me was feeding her a milk replacement. i also bought a milk replacement and fed it to him for a day. i read where alot of those replacements are bad for babies and to switch to whole cow milk. i started today to gradually change him. hes had about 6 oz of this formula: i mix 3/4 of old formula and 1/3 of whole milk mixed with buttermilk and evaporated milk. now his poop has turned more watery and tinge of greenish. what do i do to clear it up?

ANSWER: HI Tiffany -
I think  the change is causing this issue with scouring..  and possibly the addition of buttermilk and evap milk.. these are not needed. Your  gradual change seems fine but I think the evap and buttermilk may be to much for this baby - a tsp or so of pepto bismol will help coat the gut and help to  solidify the poopies..  you do not want to stop  the baby pooping .. but slowing it down will help..  cut out the  formula   with evap and buttermilk..  follow the guide to gradual change using just the milk instead. This also could be a late symptom of the replacer itself..  which is how replacers begin to show symptoms   

This is my full article on bottle feeding.. and how to change a baby goat from  replacer to milk gradually

If the scouring  starts to get very bad.. I think I would stop all milk bottles, give electrolytes only for at least a few bottles..  not just water ever - but with electrolytes and  maybe a pump or 2 of nutridrench and a tsp of molasses.. to allow the gut to relax and  not  be upset with all the change and replacer junk in it..
Then  start without any replacer.. half  electrolyte bottle  and half whole milk.. for a day or at least a few bottles..  3/4 milk and 1/4  electrolytes..   for a few bottles or a day of bottles.. then all milk  bottles..  just whole milk..  goat milk if you can get it  but regular cow whole milk is fine..

QUESTION: thanks that answers alot of my concerns. ive read to use baking soda also to calm their bellies. how would i mix that?

HI Tiffany -
for baking soda ..  they hate the taste and make funny little noises after they have been given it.. so be aware of that.. it is Very salty - I personally put some on a teaspoon and wet it with water..  enough to make  a loose paste.. and into the mouth it goes - like feeding a toddler - you will loose half of it because they will spit it out and act like you are trying to kill them- but this is MUCH safer than trying to drench them.. I always try to do anything  but drench as the chances of them  getting it down the wrong way and into the lungs is greater than not.. baking soda  will help the pH of the gut and is vital  with older kids that have FKS

hope this helps..  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University