Goats/Mastitis and Laminitis.

Question
QUESTION: Hi Donna, thought I'd ask the expert on these troubles as not sure what i should be doing here. Yesterday I picked up a couple purebred Nubian goats, both Doe's. The owner had been having issues with them and didn't have the heart to cull them herself. She offered them very cheap so I took them knowing the flaws. One Pixel, 175 lb's has had a severe bout of Mastitis which has been treated and last test showed she had no more infection on that side. I checked it last night and one side is fine and still milking the bad side not hot but has a perfect round golfball sized i don't know what appears to be attached to the wall of the udder. She also has 1 more marble sized floating around in the teat. Both these are hard as rocks and even massaging didn't do anything. She has still a bit of watery milk and a bit of blood in it no chunks. Is she still infected and is this something will heal, and I know that side is done but should be no blood there should there. She doesn't mind any touching or squeezing etc. Was suggested that she should be totally dried off and may be fine after that, but what are the chances of rebreeding and this returning. I've dealt with mastitis but never felt stuff like this before in there.
Second Doe is Lucy 6 years old severely over weight at around 225 lbs, also Nubian. She has been walking around on her knees, and more than usual according to the previous owner. Her hoofs were terrible for a vet trimming feet, the front ones are about 3 inches thick from the hair line and were grossly sloped the wrong way. The back ones were angled wrong and sloped wrong also very thick. I put her on the stand and trimmed as far as I dared bringing them back to where they should be and this will take time. She appears to walk a bit stiff legged in the front wanting to best way to describe German army goose step. I suspect Laminitis but doesn't look like the bone has actually detached yet but rather because of the horrible slop on the hoofs has been making her want to walk on her heals making things sore so she goes to her knees. So I have her on a diet very little grain, she is no pregnant good hay minerals and once the weather is fit walks. My question again do you think she can come back to walking right or am I just prolong her suffering to walk on her knees and lay around. Also anything I can be doing more to address these issues especially with the mastic doe. I am more inclined to cull the mastic doe than the big girl, but both are nice animals. Can you help, thanks.

ANSWER: So, the mass indicates she still has mastitis.  Would use penicillin for 7 days along with an inramammary antibiotic (one used for cows using 1/2 of the amount for the one side of the udder). Would also dry off to be sure to give the udder a rest.  You can also use softened cabbage leaves (boiled in hot water and kept hot when you place them) on the udder specific area to help open up the tissues to allow the antibiotics in.  

Re the second doe, Ms. Fatty, ha, ha, working with her hooves is of course the first thing to do.  Would also treat her with penicillin to be sure there is no bacterial laminitis going on, which I would expect at this point.  Aspirin will also help with pain and swelling.  The no grain is a good thing, as well as just good grass hay.  The stiffness can be helped with use of rubbing liniment on the joints.  

Know it is a hard decision to make, especially when there are no guarantees.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: RE- FATTY. Hi I started her in Pen-g and have been able to get a more accurate weight at just over 200 lbs. I have her on 10 cc Pen-G twice a day. I'm wondering how long i should be doing this a week or longer. There doesn't appear to be swelling and noticed this morning she is already walking better on those front limbs less stiffness, but I gave her a small shot of Banamine last night and her pen-g so may already be working. She is a bit upset at no grain and I broke down and gave her 1/2 cup of boc and she has minerals. Thinking I may get her out with the rest just to get some exercise as a newcomer will be kept on her toes till they are used to her, and no fear of hurting her as they will bounce off anyway.
RE MASTITIS. Also started this one on Pen-G TWICE A DAY AND WILL WORK ON WEANING HER, SHE IS TOO NICE A DOE TO CULL YET HAVE TO TRY. jUST IN KIDS SHE MORE THAN COVERS ANY EXPENCIS AND IS SUCH A BIG LOVING THING. THANKS.

Answer
Thanks for the update.  All sounds good.  Re Ms. Fatty I would give pen-G for at least 7 days and up to 10 days.  Re the one with mastitis, sometimes there is a chronic mastitis that just never seems to go away, and comes back with a lot of symptoms once milk is being produced.  Sometimes these does who give you great kids just need to be dried up right away and bottle feed the kids - know that can be extra work but as you say she covers her expenses with kid production.  Glad you are giving both a chance.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres