Goats/newborn goat

QUESTION: I have a newborn goat (@5 hours old) she is constantly sucking on the mothers teet. I do not "see" milk on baby's mouth. Baby is waggin tail, very active, and very vocal. Mom will not let me squeeze her teet to check it. How can I tell if she is getting milk?

ANSWER: They will nurse frequently. You can tell by the activity of the baby and whether she is growing. Are these milk goats? I would get mom on the milkstand to make sure the udder does not get lopsided with just one kid. But I would not worry about it as long the as the baby is active.

QUESTION: I have no idea what kind of goats they are. I don't have a milkstand. The baby is now 20 hrs old. I have seen it pee and black poop. The poop has not turned to the mustard yellow color yet. I have read that the color changes to yellowish once on milk. She is very active. I guess she is okay. Im just super paranoid. I would think after a fairly cold night last night and her being so active, she would be showing fatigue by now if not getting what she needs. What do you think? Thank you for your time!

I think you are right. She would be acting weak. I am sure she is doing just great. Also, mom will eat the poop, so you may not see it right away. They always seem to be barely getting anything, but they nurse frequently, so they do. Good luck and enjoy that baby!

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law