Goats/Selenium/D/E for Pregnant Does

Question
I've read several responses to giving does sel/D/E about 4 weeks prior to kidding.  I have 2 Alpine does that should kid the first week of April.  I am new to goats and am apprehensive of what to give when.  I have a friend (who had the breeding buck) that is helpful but I don't want to constantly be asking them questions.  I wanted to know where I get the selenium/D/E that you recommended.  I found a gel online (on a site that I have seen recommended for livestock supplies) that has selenium/Vit E, however their recommended dose from what I could tell for adults resulted in only 400 IU Vit E and 46 mcg of selenium.  Also, I've read that you recommend injectable wormer.  I've never given injections and bought a pellet wormer before I read your site.  I haven't given it to them because I don't want to do something wrong.  It says for pregnant does.  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Hi there - re the selenium, for an adult goat (goes by age, not weight) they would get 2 mg (which is 10 of the 200 mcg human selenium tablets), crush and dissolve tablets in a little hot water.  To that add all the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and all the oil from at least an 800 IU vitamin D capsule - more of the E or D will not hurt - I usually prick a hole in the capsule and squeeze out the oil - mix well(knowing that the oil will not mix all the way with the selenium/water mixture), and give orally (as a drench) to the goat.

Re the wormer, I never give injectable wormers. I use oral horse wormers, switching between Safeguard and Zimectrin, giving one or the other every two months - you use twice the body weight of the goat to figure out the dosing on the plunger, set the lock and give orally.  Then 2 months later you do the same thing, but switch to the other wormer.  Both of these wormers are okay for any goat, in any production, including pregnant does.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres