Goats/bald spot on belly

Question
Belly 1
Belly 1  

Belly 2
Belly 2  
First off thank you for answering my questions so far. You are awesome. I recently noticed these flakey balding spots on my goats belly. I had been washing it with mild bleach and applying a fungicide. Previously, I had tried DT to see if it was a bug. today I sprayed it with a wound care aerosol for animals. Have you ever seen anything like this? It has gotten bigger. So what I am doing is ineffective. I am very frustrated. I took my goats out to be bred and ever since then it is one issue after another. I just finished a bout with ringworm. For two years these goats were perfect.

Answer
Hi Cheryl:
Skin disorders are one of the most difficult to  figure out.  I would maybe start with treating for possible mites or lice -  I use Ivomec POURON  it is used topically  and  this in my opinion is the best for getting rid of  external parasites - now even though it is also a cattle dewormer it is Not effective as one in goats - you still need to use a dewormer for internal parasites http://goat-link.com/content/view/180/168
Lice  or mites will make the goat rub on everything and it breaks the hair off at the skin which is why you will see bald patches with external  parasites.

That being said - There are other reasons for skin disorders -

Fungal Diseases

Ringworm is the most recognized fungal disease in goats. It is not a worm, but rather a fungus which usually appears during prolonged periods of very wet weather, often when it is difficult to keep the pens clean and therefore less likely to harbor disease-causing organisms.

Ringworm can be located almost anywhere on the goat's body; its appearance is that of a rounded patch of hair surrounded completely by a hairless ring. Left untreated, it gets bigger and bigger. Ringworm is contagious both to goats and to humans.

Treatment involves donning disposable gloves and thoroughly washing the area with a topical skin disinfectant like Betadine Surgical Scrub. Wipe the cleansed skin surface dry and apply 1% Clotrimazole Cream to the affected area. Repeat this treatment daily for at least two weeks and possibly longer, until the ringworm is gone. While ringworm usually doesn't bother the goat, it can take up to a month to cure.

Bacterial Diseases

Staphylococci bacteria often invade skin lesions on goats. Infection can be generalized over large areas of the goat's body or localized in the form of pustules on a doe's udder. Generalized infections should be treated with long-lasting Benzathine Penicillin (five cc's per one hundred pounds of body weight for five consecutive days), in combination with cleansing the affected area thoroughly with chlorhexidine shampoo or Betadine Surgical Scrub. Then apply an antibiotic cream topically. The use of injectible steroids is sometimes applicable in treating Staph infections. For localized infections such as the surface of the udder, the antibiotic treatment can be eliminated and the cleansing/antibiotic cream regimen can be solely used.

ALL of this being said other than trying to treat for lice/mites - I would consult a vet and have him take a skin scraping to be sure.

Now as far as getting health issues from sending them for breeding - don't do it.  I personally have my own  boys and always have BUT there are some who do not like to have the boys.. (I personally love them) - What I have done for folks who wanted MY boys to breed their does.. ( do not  offer buck services anymore because I  simply do not want the hassle )  BUT  this is a very safe way to do this.. a bit of a PIA but it works..

First of all I required  a clean bill of health for CAE and CL-  In my case  I had the boys - so when anyone wanted to breed the does.. they came to me in a stock trailer.. When the doe was in an active heat cycle - After I checked the doe out myself while in the trailer.. looked for any hair loss,  runny nose, runny eyes,  poopy butt - hoof issues and they looked clean to me .. they stayed IN the trailer - I took my boy to her - loaded him to the trailer and watched as he would breed her - I allowed time for  preferably 3  successful mountings and breedings. I took the boy out of the trailer and BEFORE he was put back in with the rest, was walked through a  10% bleach/water solution  and rubbed down  with a betadine solution. I allowed one additional breeding in 3 weeks to the same doe in case the first didn't take. I never allowed my boys to another property nor did I take in does who were not mine onto my property.    

Do this but in reverse.

and you can do this one of 2 ways.. IF the trailer is clean you can use the trailer -(the buck brought  to you in this trailer)  if you have land where NONE of your goats visit that a trailer can get to easily - you can build a small temporary pen with cattle panels,  let the breeder unload the buck into the pen with your doe and allow the 3  mountings and breedings - they can then load the boy back up and away they go..  before you place her back in with your herd,  clean her up like I did for my boys.

This would require you to  keep a close eye on her cycles to be sure  - a doe usually cycles for 3 days every 21 days in season  http://goat-link.com/content/view/78/33

I  hope this helps a bit.. I am SO Sorry you're going through this.. and I would never use this breeder again.. if her/his goats have these  issues and passed them along to your girls.. :(

Goats

Goatlady