Goats/best goat breeds as horse companions

Hi ma'am. I am Roberts from INDIA. My friend, a citizen of USA has a plan to start a horse ranch. He likes to keep goats in his barn. Can you please suggest me few goat breed best suitable for horse barns. Which are social with horses having even temperament?

HI Roberts

I am not at all familiar with  the breeds of goats you have there in India - so I can only say this - here in the US most breeds are considered horse companions as long as the horses do not act aggressive toward the goats - usually this is  when there is a single horse who may have lost it's stall mate  etc  one goat is added to the mix to help the horse have a companion - THIS being said  I  do know there are  folks who keep both goats and horses -  sometimes there are situations where the horses will kick or  attack the goat- sometimes there are situations where the goats will butt the horses - you must keep an eye on things - if the horses are not used to goats this may be something  that needs to be controlled and observed as they are put together- they will learn to respect one another - baby goats  could be in danger in a new  horse/goat situation - I think if it were me I would have a barn where the goats could get away from the horses if need be.. and never actually locked in a barn where no one can escape (which is never a good idea anyway in case of  some sort of fire or other disaster)
Your friend may want to  get his goats from a place where they are already  on a farm with horses and are used to them and ask locally what breeds there in India are a calm breed as  I honestly do not know  your breeds there (Although I have seen photos of some pretty unique goats from India that look like our Nubians with very long long ears and the goats themselves are Much larger than here - I don not know if this is the norm or unusual even for there)  Only what I have seen in photos. I hope this was able to shed maybe a little light on your situation  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University