Goats/Having horns removed

Question
I just got 2 baby goats that are two months old that still have their horns I'm new to goats so I still learning but I heard it needs to be done around two weeks I feel really bad about it and would even have it done at all but my girls are joining 4H so it has to be done is there anything I can give them to reduce the pain they are bottle baby's so I'm super in love with them and do want to see them in a lot of pain

Answer
Yes, 2 weeks is the best time to disbud.  But if the horns are still small you can still disbud by using a disbudding iron.  Is that what you are planning to have done?  Would stay away from any surgical procedure to take the horns out.  Re the pain,  use of human aspirin given just before disbudding and hen 4 hours later helps.  For a 2 month old kid you can use 1/2 of a human 325 mg aspirin crushed and dissolved in a little hot water and given to the goat orally.  Also would advise giving a second dose of CDT toxoid before disbudding.  They should have had their first CDT vaccination at 2 weeks.  Reason for this is that disbudding is stressful and can cause the growth of the clostridium bacteria that causes enterotoxemia.  Hope this helps - let me know.  Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres