Goats/follow-up broken toe?

Question
QUESTION: I have a sweet one-year old wether Nubian Goat (half miniature) that appears to have a broken outside toe on his right front foot. He is walking, even getting up on rocks but walks gingerly on that foot.  I am concerned over how splayed out the toe is.  There is no swelling of the leg or foot.

Is it possible to clean and dry the foot well and tape it securely but not too tightly to the other toe at the top?  How long should I leave this at a time? or Would it be best to then wrap around the entire foot  to make a boot type to keep out debris and dirt/mud?

Thank you so much for your thoughts.  I would like to see if I could help make him more comfortable and alleviate the problem as it concerns me.

ANSWER: Hi Jacqueline:
Is this an open  wound? IF so,.,. he will need a TETANUS ANTITOXIN injection for protection - can be repeated in 7 days.. (EVEN If he has had a CDT vaccine) tetanus comes from the dirt - this is important

I would also  squirt some penicillin procaine g into the wound - keep an eye on it for infection - I think your best bet would be to tape it like you said,., this toe will probably Never be right again - I had a rescue goat once  whose toe was like this from getting stepped on by a horse - her toe was always  out  and loose  but  by the time I got her it was an old injury - so I have no idea how they  or IF they did anything with it. She was fine other than the weird toe - happily lived to be 17 yrs old

Keep an eye on it for infection  and  if you tape or wrap it  that it remains  warm  and doesn't cut off circulation.  

PennG http://goat-link.com/content/view/194/168/
Tetanus Antitoxin http://goat-link.com/content/view/199/168/

QUESTION: Thank you ever so much for your quick response!  I carefully inspected his foot and do not see any open wounds, his outside toe is just laid out to the side.  You are amazing in very possibly hitting upon how he very well might have injured this toe! We do have two horses and a donkey.  Although my four goats have their own quarters that the others cannot enter, they often times are found hanging with the horses and donkey as they all get along so well.  The horses make great "carports for them" and fly swishers when standing near their tails!    

I will wrap the toes at the top now and keep an eye on it daily.  Were you thinking I should start with just this or make a complete boot type wrap to enclose his whole hoof?  If his toe will never return to normal which I understand, is wrapping something you think I could/should continue if it proves to aid in his walking?

Again thank you soooo much for your time.  LOVE my goats to pieces.

Answer
Cooper and JarJar
Cooper and JarJar  
Hi Jacqueline:

If this has NO Opening  at all I think I would not bother with a wrap - it  most likely will not heal back normally -  and wrapping it "MIGHT" cause it to  heal or "solidify" if you will in an odd  position. You can try it and see how it goes,  watch to see if he is walking better  - if so  go ahead with it, making sure you do not try to place the toe in an unnatural position in the wrap - (ie: too close to the other toe- as this might  rub later  if indeed it does get  stiff) - I wish I had taken a photo of Shani's foot- never occurred to me  :(  She was fine  and never acted as though it bothered her a bit - BUT again  I have no idea how long before I got her the initial damage occurred. I DO know one thing .. that toe hoof was tougher than nails and a real bugger to  trim- like rock. Go with your gut, keep an eye on it and see how it goes from there -  I wish I had  more  concrete info for you. Horse, Donkey, Goat accidents happen..  one wrong step by even a smaller 600/800lb donkey can break a toe, or worse - I will say  when they are raised together they are usually SO careful where their feet are though, even my standard donkey watches carefully when he puts his feet down... around kids especially - although he is not quite as careful with the adult goats - he must know they are old enough to know to get out of the way ??  Let me know how he does - like I said go with your gut.. and just watch to see how it is working out.  

Goats

Goatlady