Goats/Sick Nigerian Dwarf Wether Kid

Question
I have a  4 1/2 week old Nigerian Dwarf wether that is sick.  He does have lice, both kinds, temp is 103.4.  He is drinking milk from mother, but today she has not let him suckle so I am bottle feeding him another mother's milk (nigerian).  I thought he might be bloated because a couple days ago he had some grain that I feed the lactating does, I then gave him baking soda, it did not seem to help.  I have recently read that babies on milk don't get a true bloat, but his tummy is tight.  I have kept him in the house for several hours to watch if he is pooping and peeing, but nothing during the last 3 hours. He is walking stiff legged and mostly just standing around.  If he falls over he cannot get up.  We are in Tucson and it is warm here now, 80 during the day. Can the lice cause all of the symptoms or do you think more is going on?

Answer
HI Jennifer

First Yes lice will bring a baby goat down and weak rather quickly - I have found the only thing that really works on  both types of lice is Ivomec POURON Read and see here - http://goat-link.com/content/view/180/168

excerpt from page: NOTE from Administrator: This is a cattle product but is commonly used on goats as Off Label- we use it at the rate of 1cc/20lbs in a syringe with no needle dribbles along the back line from neck to tail- directly on the skin for the control and effective removal of Biting lice and other external parasites. Even though this is also a dewormer, it is not effective as a dewormer on goats- Only as an external parasite control- you still need to deworm your goats for internal parasites. Ivermectin pour-on is the only effective parasite control I have seen that effectively rids the goat of Biting lice- This is equal to Ivomec PourOn.

Added Note: Ivomec injectable for cattle is effective against lice for Cattle but not for goats, they have a different  metabolism therefore  the injectable  will not kill lice on goats - therefore the pour on is needed for lice removal.

For BABY GOATS: I use a cotton ball with some of the Ivermectin on it not dripping wet, rub onto skin in a few places on the spine and if the lice are severe a bit (using the same damp cotton ball) on the inner groin area.

for the tight belly  I would give a baby enema - Please read details here - http://goat-link.com/content/view/92/74

Excerpt from article: How to Give a Baby Goat An Enema

Use what ever you have that will have a tip on it and hold some warm soapy water.. insert the tip gently and only just into the rectum (with Vasoline on it for easy insertion) and hold baby across your lap while you sit on the edge of the bathtub.. baby feet hanging in tub.. squirt a small amount of the warm soapy water into the rectum - wait.. water will shoot out and followed by poop.. if no poop do it again.. It may take 5-10 times.. allowing the water to shoot out and hopefully poop too before adding more warm soapy water.. this may take 30min to an hour.. or more I do it in the tub so I can see the amount of poop and what it looks like.. tubs bleach out easily.. I use a home hair color bottle.. you can use ear syringe, a regular syringe with a long tip on it.. anything with a small tip and the possibility of holding and administering soapy water..

Making this  short and quick so you can start to administer needed  methods- the quicker you can do these things the better - please let me know how he does.

PS in addition I think I would also consider wormload at this age - I use Valbazen for kids because  it gets also tapes and is effective on gastrointestinal parasites as well as liver fluke - http://goat-link.com/content/view/39/168/  

Goats

Goatlady