Goats/buck w/ scours

Question
I have a 3 month old nubian buckling who has developed scours. I started weaning he and his brother abt 2 weeks ago. He is the screamer of the 2. Hang as close to divider fence as possible so he can get a view of momma!  Anyway, was fine for first week then I noticed loose stool. Eating his grain and hay normal and drinking good. Keeps tail tucked pretty much all the time now. They r running w/ my 2 older bucks but are not being bullied at all from what I can see. Have been out a few times to some fresh grass but for only abt 10 minutes each time. Stopped that when I noticed the poop. I treated w/ sulmet twice 3 days ago and also a dose of pepto. It looks to be a real dark green.

Answer
Generally, green diarrhea/scours indicates coccidiosis, which he easily could have picked up on the fresh grass.  But if he is eating alfalfa as his hay, this too can cause a green color to the diarrhea.  Is there any mucous or blood in the diarrhea? Has he been on the same grain since he started with the diarrhea?  Would start back on sulmet giving 1.5 cc per 10 pounds body weight twice a day for 7 days.  Pepto bismol - and I mix the sulmet as it tastes terrible with the pepto - at 1/2 cup pepto per 50 pounds body weight every 4 to 6 hours for the pepto.  Glad he is otherwise seeming to be healthy and normal, except for his screaming, ha, ha.  While he is on the Sulmet he also needs to be on probiotics - you can use human yogurt or probiotic powder or gel, whatever you have - giving this twice a day.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres