Goats/lump on my goats neck

Question
QUESTION: I've had a lamancha doe for two years now. recently I found a hard lump on the back of her neck right by her head, it's round like a ball. she has a normal temp, she's chewing her cud, her bladder function is fine and she's eating and drinking just fine. she is a little lazy. I have not administered any medication yet. she regularly gets tree branches and grass

ANSWER: Hi Grace:

Is this in a place a typical CLA  abscess could be?
Please take a look at the diagram in this article to be sure
http://goat-link.com/images/abcesscl.gif

http://goat-link.com/content/view/101/96/

how long has it been there ? How large is it?

I will look forward to hearing back from you on this

QUESTION: No her lump is not where a typical CLA abscess could be. I've had goats for a long time And I'm a vet tech, but I've never seen this before. I sits just above her head. I don't think it's Cancer. My son loves this doe very much so I'm trying to find out what this is in case it's serious.

Answer
Hi Grace:

Sounds like you might have more access to vet testing than most - not being able to see this - hard for me to  even try to guess - testing is your best bet. If this is in a place where  CLA abscesses do  not usually appear - it could be a sticker  creating an abscess - it could be a tumor-  even a benign tumor, it could be a snake or bug bite or sting, or other physical trauma. I think the vet could take a sample of what might be inside this lump and test it..  I doubt anything would show up on xray, as it is soft tissue. If the vet has a scanner this may be a way to go. There just are  not that many things that would cause a lump, ruling them out  one at a time is the only way to  go - I DO know that goats can get tumors - more often  than what people might think. If this suddenly appeared, I would lean toward trauma or sticker/bite of some sort.  

Goats

Goatlady