Goats/Severe hair loss

A momma goay nigerian recently nstarted losing het hair and it can be pulled mout in clumps. I had given CD&t 2weeks ago and treatment of lice. Also dewormed. Indid this for all my goats and she is the only one that had this. Any suggestion

HI Theresa:
The  first thing that comes to mind is stress -  I have noticed that  goats  will lose hair (blow their coat)  after they have been ill with fever - recently kidded - even some  boys will lose hair after castration - illness related stress- usually about a month after the illness you can observe the hair  many times completely balding the goat - I have had goats lose hair after a bout with pneumonia -

Sometimes they will lose some hair after topical treatment for lice - and  also From the lice  -  this usually happens in spotty areas -  if they have lice (or mites)  the hair is rubbed off and actually breaks at the skin -  which is different than  actually coming out of the skin - you have to look closely to see the difference.

Other causes are  fungus, ringworm, nutritional causes, and mineral imbalance can also cause hair loss -

Here is a good article on hair loss in goats - written a few years ago but still very informative.

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University