Goats/kids

Question
We had a Nanny have twins last night. It was about 50 degrees outside.  She had them and we watched for about 45 minutes and the babies had not got up.  We got them into the house dried and warmed them and put them back out with the Nanny.  She laid down with them and didn't feed them.  We gave her two hours and then brought them in again, warmed them up and fed them about a half cup each Kid Colostrum supplement.  We let them sleep about an hour inside so they would be warm then took them back out to be with the Nanny.  This is the Nanny's third set of twins but she is new to my herd.  These are meat goats so the Nanny is very wild. Our plan is to bring them in again in about four hours and feed them again if the Nanny doesn't look like she is paying attention to them. The babies are not standing well.

Answer
HI Keith -
Rule of thumb here is  make sure the kids get up to the teats  (even if it means  holding the doe down) within 30 minutes of birth - this gives them the needed  energy to  get with the program - You might need to work with this doe to  get her to care for the kids - I have worked personally with a doe for 3 weeks before she "got it" and accepted the baby -  it may be easier for you to just  allow them in with mom for nurturing and bottle feed them - she is apparently in some sort of stress in this new home.. esp if she was moved while she was pregnant -
The babies may nto be standing well due to the weakness of not getting fed right away.. and here we always feed every  hour or two a small amount  for the first 24 hours.. milking out the doe for the colostrum - do not depend on the colostrum bought over the counter for immunity - it will not  give immunity to the system -  I am putting a few urls for articles for you to read that will help you going into detail about bottle feeding  and about colostrum - the information here should help you with what is going on..

bottle feeding: http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/
colostrum: http://goat-link.com/content/view/211/199/

milk vs replacers: http://goat-link.com/content/view/197/192/

and if you need it
birth chill: http://goat-link.com/content/view/27/77/

Goats

Goatlady