Goats/scaly, dry, itchy tail area

I've had my pygmy goats for about four years.  For about three of those years, my goats have had rough, scaly, dry, hairless, and itchy areas around their tails.  I have had a vet check it out and do a biopsy.  No answers.  I give them the correct dose of ivermectin pour on monthly, even through winter.  Do you have any idea what I could do to get rid of this problem?

Thank you!

HI Rita:

You don't mention what part of the country you're in.. so I have no idea if  the elements would have any effect - have you checked for lice or mites?  sounds like the girls are rubbing their butts on fencing or something similar  - IMHO using Ivomec PourOn monthly is overkill - if you are trying to deworm them - using the pour on will not do the trick..  even though it works as a dewormer on cattle, it does not on goats - it only provides  as a delouser on goats - for deworming you need to use  either ivomec injectable or  valbazen orally (providing they are not pregnant) - the Pour on may be giving somewhat of an allergic reaction due to the frequency of use.

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University