Goats/message following previous one

A follow up to my first email about our poorly baby goat, born saturday. His breathing got noisier through the day and he is breathing so fast I decided it must be an infection.....all of our local vets were out so I just took the plunge and gave him some antibiotics - Histacline. The vet got in touch towards the end of the day and thankfully agreed with me, but I had followed the label and not given him enough :-/ so he now has had a little top up and we'll start the full, proper dose tomorrow. Tonight he his breathing is still the same (although he was up walking around his pen this afternoon, sniffing things!) - how long does it take to see signs of improvement? If there is anything else I can do please please say as our vets are not really very 'goaty' and have said things in the past that I know are blatantly wrong....I have even been searching everywhere to check the dosage I should be giving but can't find it on the internet anywhere as Histacline hasn't been approved for goats. Thank you again for giving up so much of your time to help us beginners - it is so much appreciated. As I said, your advice last year saved our little buck's life, and he is now a proud Daddy and a beautiful boy :-)

HI Karen -

In addition to your  last post  I just sent an answer for -

Had to  do a bit of research here for his medication :)

From what I can tell in researching  Histacline-  

Benzylpenicillin (Histacline) - Benzylpenicillin (Histacline) is a penicillin beta-lactam antibiotic used in the treatment of bacterial infections caused by susceptible, usually gram-positive, organisms. The name "penicillin" can either refer to several variants of penicillin available, or to the group of antibiotics derived from the penicillins. Benzylpenicillin (Histacline) has in vitro activity against gram-positive and gram-negative aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. The bactericidal activity of penicillin G results from the inhibition of cell wall synthesis and is mediated through penicillin G binding to penicillin binding proteins (PBPs). Benzylpenicillin (Histacline) is stable against hydrolysis by a variety of beta-lactamases, including penicillinases, and cephalosporinases and extended spectrum beta-lactamases.

Indication: For use in the treatment of severe infections caused by penicillin G-susceptible microorganisms when rapid and high penicillin levels are required.

Read more:

So this brings us to looking at Benzylpenicillin

Benzylpenicillin (INN, AAN, BAN), also known as penicillin G (USAN), is a narrow spectrum penicillin antibiotic that is given intravenously or intramuscularly as a treatment for syphilis, meningitis, endocarditis, pneumonia, lung abscesses and septicaemia in children.[1] Penicillin G is typically given by injection parenterally, bypassing the intestines, because it is unstable in the highly acidic stomach. Because the drug is given parenterally, higher tissue concentrations of penicillin G can be achieved than is possible with phenoxymethylpenicillin. These higher concentrations translate to increased antibacterial activity.

Trying to find  how this is used in  veterinary use -
So I find this

now you might want to contact the office near you and ask them about this -

Hardly anything we use here in the states has been approved for goats - we use these meds  "off label" in other words - trial and error but  as long time goat owners we have found what does and does not work  in goats  along with the help of some vets -

I'm not sure  how this was administered to the baby - I am getting the impression it was orally -  and quite honestly I have no idea  on a dosage - I'm sorry .

I am seeing that this is also called  PenG  (WHICH IS NOT PROCAINE PEN G)  which is what we have here

This site says -

Penicillin is safe for use in dogs, cats, ferrets, hedgehogs, and some species of birds. USE CAUTION WHEN ADMINISTERING THIS DRUG TO OTHER SPECIES. Snakes, guinea pigs, some birds, and Chinchillas may be sensitive to this drug.

More info here -

More  here

A lot of information -  and  since I am not at all familiar with these medications - you might want to double check with another vet about it -

OK finally found  it  (I think)

This shows the dosage for injectable  Penicillin G Benzathine

Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine is indicated for treatment of the following bacterial infections in beef cattle due to penicillin-susceptible micro-organisms that are susceptible to the serum levels common to this particular dosage form, such as:
1.Bacterial Pneumonia (shipping fever complex) (Streptococcus spp., Actinomyces pyogenes, Staphylococcus aureus)

2.Upper Respiratory Infections such as Rhinitis or Pharyngitis (Actinomyces pyogenes)

3.Blackleg (Clostridium chauvoei)

Veterinary Injection for Use in Beef Cattle
"Long-Acting Penicillin"
Off-Label Use in Companion Animals
DESCRIPTION: Each mL contains 150,000 units penicillin G benzathine; 150,000 units penicillin G procaine and, approximately: 0.08% sodium carboxymethylcellulose; 0.40% sodium citrate dihydrate; 1.17% lecithin; 0.31% povidone; 0.04% polysorbate 40; 0.06% sorbitan monopalmitate 40; 0.01% propylparaben, 0.12% methylparaben, and 0.25% phenol as preservatives; trisodium phosphate, as required to adjust pH; water for injection q.s.
ACTION: Penicillin G is an antibiotic which shows a marked bactericidal effect against certain organisms during their growth phase. It is relatively specific in its action against Gram-positive bacteria but is usually ineffective against Gram-negative organisms.

It is normally recommended that any bacterial infection be treated as early as possible and with a dosage which will give effective blood levels. Although the recommended dosage of Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine will give longer detectable penicillin blood levels than penicillin G procaine alone, it is recommended that a second dose be administered at 48 hours when treating a penicillin-susceptible bacterial infection.

The use of antibiotics in the management of disease is based on an accurate diagnosis and an adequate course of treatment. When properly used in the treatment of diseases caused by penicillin-susceptible organisms, most animals treated with Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine show a noticeable improvement within 24 to 48 hours. If improvement does not occur within this period of time, the diagnosis and course of treatment should be reevaluated. It is recommended that the diagnosis and treatment of animal diseases be carried out by a veterinarian. Since many diseases look alike but require different types of treatment, the use of professional veterinary and laboratory services can reduce treatment time, costs, and needless losses. Good housing, sanitation, and nutrition are important in the maintenance of healthy animals and are essential in the treatment of disease.

ADMINISTRATION: The recommended dosage for beef cattle should be administered by SUBCUTANEOUS INJECTION ONLY. Failure to use the subcutaneous route of administration may result in antibiotic residues in meat beyond the withdrawal time.

DOSAGE: Beef Cattle: 2 mL per 150 lb body weight GIVEN SUBCUTANEOUSLY ONLY (2,000 units penicillin G procaine and 2,000 units penicillin G benzathine per lb body weight). Treatment should be repeated in 48 hours.

IMPORTANT: Treatment in beef cattle should be limited to two (2) doses given by subcutaneous injection only.

DIRECTIONS FOR USE: A thoroughly cleaned, sterile needle and syringe should be used for each injection (needles and syringes may be sterilized by boiling in water for 15 minutes). Before withdrawing the solution from the bottle, disinfect the rubber cap on the bottle with a suitable disinfectant, such as 70 percent alcohol. The injection site should be similarly cleaned with the disinfectant. Needles of 14 to 16 gauge and not more than 1 inch long are adequate for injections.

A subcutaneous injection should be made by pinching up a fold of the skin between the thumb and forefinger. The mid-neck region is the preferred injection site. Insert the needle under the fold in a direction approximately parallel to the surface of the body. When the needle is inserted in this manner the medication will be delivered underneath the skin between the skin and the muscles. Proper restraint, such as the use of a chute and nose lead, is needed for proper administration of the product.

PACKAGE INFORMATION: Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine is available in vials of 100 mL and 250 mL with each mL containing 150,000 units penicillin G benzathine and 150,000 units penicillin G procaine.

Penicillin G Benzathine and Penicillin G Procaine should be stored under refrigeration 2°-8°C (36°-46°F). Avoid freezing. Warm to room temperature, and shake well before using.

Avoid Freezing

2 mL per 150 lb body weight GIVEN SUBCUTANEOUSLY ONLY NOT in the muscle - given every 48 hours

This FDA approved, long-lasting penicillin works fast with noticeable results within 4 to 48 hours.

Man alive I hope I have not confused you with all of this - but trying to track it from a brand name from another country _ I hope I have offered at least some information -

If it were me? (I'd be on the phone with a couple more vets to get  info on this from them.. ) Wish I could have been more help  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University