Goats/New Born.

Hi Donna, how are you? This is a question from a friend and I have never seen this, so run it by you. Her goat just kidded and only a few hours old has diarrhea. Looks yellow on it's bum. New to me any ideas ? Should she be concerned? Thanks.

Was there any green or yellow tinge to the placental tissues/sac?  If so this could indicate the newborn was late/past the due date.  The yellow can just be from it being born late.  Although, diarrhea is concerning.  This could be an early enterotoxemia too, especially if the doe/mom was not up to date on her CDT vaccination.  Is the kid goat sucking okay? Otherwise looking and standing okay?  Would take a temp on this new kid too.  If it is at all weak or has a fever would start on pepto bismol and oral sulfa.  Hope this helps.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County