Goats/Possible CAE.

Hi. Donna. First Re- Doe with seizures. You were bang on, it was selenium she needed. Since I gave her a shot she has not had another seizure so  will repeat in about 3 more weeks.
         Now concerning a 7-year-old Doe, I was given 2 years ago near death with Pneumonia and weighed half of what she should have and was walking on her knees at the time. Since then she has rebounded wonderfully walking right, and nice and rounded out sleek coat. The problem is persistent Pneumonia at least 3 times a year. I at first treated her with Pen-G and that didn't work very well so switched to Noramycin, which the active ingredient is Oxy tetracycline. This works after about 6 days of injections and I use the long lasting so  only need to give every other day. Problem is now is that she swells up like a balloon at the injection site so afraid to use it any more. I really don't want to get rid of her at least not yet and I know the CAE will cause problems but she is such a happy playful character. I had a girl with this that was quite well up to age ten before she finally had to be put down because of pain. Do you have any suggestions to an alternative antibiotic that will work? Thanks

Hi there - Glad to hear the one doe is doing well.  Always happy to hear it.  Re the 7-year-old doe, could be CAE but generally with CAE pneumonia the goat is otherwise unhealthy looking and thin. Does not sound like she is that way.  She may just have a fungal pneumonia or a chronic pneumonia.  Have you tried Tylan 200?  What dose did you have her on with the LA200?  Re penicillin and LA200 for fungal pneumonia or a chronic pneumonia it is necessary to use a higher dose.  Hope that helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County