Goats/blood in newborn stool

QUESTION: Hi Goat Lady. I have a newborn kid that has a good amount of blood in her stool. They were born on 7/5 early morning and I noticed the blood this morning. it is typical yellow stool with fresh red blood and a little mucus. her sister's stool is normal. Their mother came into milk 3 weeks before delivering and is missing her second sphyncter in her teats so the kids had a hard time nursing at first. I milked her colostrum out and fed them slowly with a syringe. The first colostrum was very dark and they did not have much of that stuff, I milked until I got a better color and they had some of that. They are nursing now but the blood has shown up.

Can you take a couple pics of this and respond to this? SO I can better see  what might be going on -  How is she acting otherwise?

QUESTION: Hi. She's nursing regularly now and has energy and seems happy. I haven't seen anymore bloody stool. I will try to take pics and send them later today.

HI Abby -
Great News - this  could have simply been a strain to use her  new 'poopchute'  ;)  the bright red suggests it was close to the rectum - I suspect she may have  either pooped hard/fast  once or had a hard time  getting the  'poopies' to come out  tearing a small vessel in the process. If you have a photo of this I'd like to see it

Again I am very happy she is fine now -  and Congrats! On the new babies   :)

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University