QUESTION: I have a 4-h goat and I need to get him ready for show. And he has a little bit of a grass belly what's the best way to get rid of it??

ANSWER: I am not familiar with that term. Is he bloated? It could be that a large belly is caused by parasites. Has he been checked for worms? Deworming might be one way to get him back in the condition you want.

QUESTION: A grass belly is like being bloated yes and he's been dewormed twice. Because of fair rules

If it is just a large belly and not bloated, I am not sure that would harm him in the show. It is just a sign of a well-developed rumen, which as I understand it means he is effectively digesting. I know mainly about dairy goats, so I am guessing this is a meat goat. There is nothing you can do about it, as long as it is not bloat or parasites.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law