Goats/Nubian doe slobbering

QUESTION: I have a 3 yr old nubian doe. Noticed yesterday that she was hanging in barn alot but assumed it was due to excessive heat and she was w/ a couple others so I thought nothing of it.  This morning on the milk stand, I saw that one of her eyes were watering. She ate her grain but very slowly.  Put them out to graze following and just went to check on her.  Now it looks like she is slobbering on same side as watering eye. ( has always been a slobberer but this is way diffferent) and I notice a slight difference in her walk. Like a possible stumble when she steps on that same side. She is not eating at all at this time. I did give B complex this morning and some baking soda.  A little yogurt also. She just stands there. What do I do??

ANSWER: would check her temperature, anything over 102.5 can indicate an infection.  this could be hyperthemia. this could be listeriosis. what color are her lower inner eyelids? has she beeb eating well otherwise, peeing and pooping? would double up on b complex and twice a day. would also start on penicillin injections. any foam around the mouth? let me know.  

QUESTION: Just came back in from checking to see that u messaged. I have not taken temp yet but she is very warm to touch so I figure she has temp for sure. Eyes are nice and pink. I have not seen her pee or poop this morning at all but yesterday she did fine and ate normal also. I gave 2cc Bcomplex as well as 6 cc of penicillin. She normally has foamy slobbers but today it is excessive but more like clear slobber instead of foamy. Just dripping from her on side of mouth.

ANSWER: Hi there.  Thanks for info.  Generally slobbers are due to side effect left from polio, but since she has been eating and drinking, that should not be the issue (polio is always a secondary illness from a goat not eating well).  Slobbers and imbalance can be due to a fever, which would be caused from an infection, or also from listeriosis (moldy grain or other mold intake).  Keeping up with B complex and penicillin is what I would do.  Also, continue with probiotics while on the penicillin - go for 5 to 7 days of twice a day injections.  You could also give her human aspirin at one 325 mg tablet (crushed and dissolved in a little water) per 75 pounds body weight every 4 hours to help with any fever.  

Forgot to ask if she had been in a new pasture area or if it were possible someone threw something poisonous over the fence that only she picked up.  

Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Thanks for the advise. Ran to TS for more Pennicilin. She is laying around mostly now. Did get up when I pulled at her collar. Acts like she would love to eat but due to the lack of feling in her left side of mouth, she cant. Has not eaten now since 630am and havent seen her drink since yesterday. I tried but cant get her to even try. Slobbers are still persistant and eye still watering. I had just opened a new bag of grain so cant imagine mold there but who knows for sure!  No new pasture but I do leave them in their pen and turn them out to browse for an hour or so daily. They run the same area so there shouldnt be anything poisonous. I do remember turning them out while grass was still alittle wet from either dew or rain day before yesterday but can think that would cause a problem. I have done that in the past and everyone else seems fine. I will give her asprin as well as her 2nd dose of Penn at 3pm and watch for improvement. At what point do i attempt to squirt some water down her? How long without food or water? Also she gets milked daily in the AM. What do I do tomorrow morn??

Thanks for the update.  Is she up to date on CDT? She could have a pneumonia that is causing this issue.  But, the penicillin should take care of that.  I might also give her selenium/D to help with possible muscle weakness on that side.  I would definitely start her on electrolytes given as oral drench since she is not hydrating herself.  I would also be sure to double up on her B complex so she is getting enough B1/Thiamin to cover and/or reverse possible polio.  Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County