Goats/sick goat kid

I have a goat kid about 5 weeks old.  I've had it for 3 weeks and was told it was 2 weeks old when I got it and the doe.  He sounded a bit wheezy when I got it but has since developed a snotty nose (white snot) and a cough.  He is still eating and growing but is lethargic and not as playful as the others.  It's rectal temp has been 102-104.  I haven't given antibiotics because I didn't think this was an elevated temp.  What should I do?

HI Joanne:

Sorry  to get back to you this late - just now saw the notice I had a question waiting -
I use the antibiotic tylan200 for upper respiratory  - you can get this at the feed stores usually -  the generic  name is tylosin200 - this is not the same as LA200 - The dosage I use is 1cc/25lbs injected SQ twice a day for 5 days - this does sting at the injection site - some react some not - but it works quick for  upper respiratory -
ALSO what is this kid eating? I assume this is a bottle fed baby -  I  am wondering if you are feeding  milk replacer and if this is the case - this alone could be the reason he is acting lethargic - having the snotty nose may be coincidence . If this kid is being fed by his mom still he may also have allergies -  new home - new plants
104 is the border of fever - If I had a kid  with these symptoms  with a 104 rectal temp  and not on milk replacer - I would start treating for  upper respiratory with the tylan200.

This is tylosin200

This is the brand name Tylan200

This is bottle feeding baby goats article  (just in case)

Article on pneumonia

Hope this helps  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University