Goats/prolapse vulva

how dangerous is this, how long should I wait before taking her in for vet care she is not due until the 20 to 30th of august today is the 5th I talked to our local vet and wouldn't give me any clearcut answers, I live about 1 1/2 hours south of you in Piedmont. I am fairly new to all this and don't have anyone nearby that has any experience with them. my goats are pygmys. The one in question has has triplets, twins and a single birth she is about 4 1/2 to 5 years old, and has had no problems in the past that we were told. She has a protrusion in the vaginal area has had for about a week, although now it stays out all the time not just when she lays down. I've washed it with warm soapy water and put Vaseline on it in hope to keep it moist. Just don't know what I should do, any answers greatly appreciated.

Hi Helen
This is serious- especially IF this is staying out all the time - you REALLY need the vet to put it back in and give it one stitch until she kids and then Be there when she kids so you can snip the stitch as soon as she is in Early labor - call a different vet - the vet you spoke to should have known how to do this and should have suggested it -  if you are only an hour or 2 from Farmington  MO then I suggest calling Dr. Oberle (Or Dr Ben) at Mineral Area Veterinary Clinic  Address: 4730 Flat River Rd, Farmington, MO 63640
Phone: (573) 756-9400   
Dr Oberle is my vet and he is awesome - call him tomorrow and tell him what is happening - let him know 'BabyGirl's goatlady' told you to call him..  he is worth his weight in gold  with goats - They are only open tomorrow until noon and closed Sunday so call early - PLEASE let me know how this goes and  if you are able to see him tomorrow.. Let the girl at the desk know you need to speak to him.. Or Dr Ben  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University