Goats/CAE Doe.

Question
QUESTION: Hi Donna, how are you? I have a Doe I suspect CAE, as she has been very stiff ever since I got her this spring. She had severe hip problems and so much she lost most of her muscle tone on that leg, back left. After a course of antibiotics and Banamine a couple days for the pain, she got better but not fully. She has been out with the rest all summer and up till 3 days ago has done ok. I saw her slowly getting slower and slower coming back to the barn till she only wanted to stay in her pen and lay down stretch her front leg and up paw the floor, obviously in pain. I checked for injuries or a hoof issue but were none. I can lift her leg and flex the joint, to me the joints don't really appear swollen but by comparison to other goats are larger, not hot to the touch.What I have done in case there was an infection. I have started her on Pen-G and for the pain, I gave 1cc Banamine. Day 2 was yesterday. She is now better and standing much brighter and eating etc. There is another source I sometimes use called Goat vet Corner, comprised of vets from all over. One of them suggested Meloxicam, an anti- inflammatory As the Banamine is temporary. My Question is as an anti-inflammatory can I use a human drug over the counter in the same class as the drug recommended? Advil Gel Caps at 400 mg are strong and occasionally I use myself. They do work at least for me. I know I can't use this every day on her but in flare-ups could this be useful. She is not really old but 8 years old is when this CAE seems to really take a hold at least on another I had here it did. I know in the next year or two I'll have to let this poor girl go like I did the other as it will be more than she can bear. For now, she is pregnant and most days are pretty good so I choose to help her along. At the same time I will not allow her to suffer daily and at that time put her down as much as I hate too. I should mention that the muscle tone she had lost in her back leg did come back nicely and seems no more issues there at all. The front leg is her problem now it seems.

ANSWER: Generally when CAE comes to light it is at 2 to 3 years of age/maturity and both carpal/knee joints swell up like a baseball to softball size and/or the doe can also get a hard udder.  This sounds more like arthritis or even a lingering joint infection. For most joint infections oxytetracycline injection/LA200 or Biomycin works well.  The only human type of anti-inflammatory/pain management that is okay on goats, especially pregnant, is aspirin - one 325 mg human aspirin per 75 pounds body weight every 4 hours as needed - the aspirin tablets must be crushed and dissolved for it to work well.  You can use human MSM/glucosamine/chondroitin tablets too.  I also use pulsatilla and arnica montana to help with arthritis.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Hi, i just got her this spring but owned her a couple years back and no hard udder and no swollen joints. The joint infection makes sense as when I start the pen-g she gets better within a couple days. She is up and out doors walking better than i have seen before. I won't use the Banamine tonight to see if problem worsens. Thankyou. I had been giving her Acetaminifin like I take for arthritis is this ok? Aspirin I have but hard on the gut.By the way I have the Oxytetracycline in the form of noramycin, but am reluctant to use it as it stings real bad, will the Pen-G work or should I switch and for how long should I give it?

Answer
Thanks for the update info.  Generally most agree that only aspirin is okay for goats.  Since aspirin is different for ruminants than it is for humans, aspirin usually does not bother the goat's rumen.  I understand about the stinging of the oxy, the only non sting oxy is Biomycin but you have to get this online.  But since the penicillin seemed to be working would just stay with that. Hope that helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres