Goats/Coccidia

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I own a nigerian dwarf thats around three months pregnant, we have coccidia going around the barn and im terrified somethings going to happen to her. Ive already done a fecal on her and im sure she has coccidia but I cant seem to find any dewormers out there that are safe for pregnant does, and even if I find one I dont know if I should deworm her. Help me I dont know what to do!!

ANSWER: Coccidia are not worms but are protozoa so are not affected by regular wormers.  All goats have coccidia in their systems and generally the adults are not affected, but kid goats can become very ill from coccidiosis. You can use Sulmet or another sulfa medicine (Corid) to kill whatever coccidia are in the intestines.  Unfortunately no sulfa medicine is okayed for pregnant animals.  Does the doe have any diarrhea currently?  Again, every goat in the worls has coccidia in their intestines and so are seen on fecal exams.  The issue happens when kids get coccidiosis where their diarrhea is green, then they must be treated with a sulfa medicine to clear the coccidia.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: No she does not have diarrhea but some on told me that if she had a large amount of coccidia that it was possible that it could kill herkids is that true?

ANSWER: So what happens is that the coccidia eggs from the mom goat are spread in her poop in the "nursery pen" and kid goats are always sniffing at the ground and at mom and so can easily pick up that coccidia in that way.  Coccidiosis in kid goats can easily be fatal, yes, but that is usually if you let the diarrhea go untreated and do not treat for coccidia.  I would suggest that as soon as the kid goats are born you start treating them - use of Sulmet liquid is best for kid goats - doseage is 1.5 cc of the Sulmet liquid per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight given twice a day, increasing dosing as they grow.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Okay so  I decided to not deworm her but I did another fecal today and she might as well be a walking parisite, she has hook, whip, round, and coccidia and my nerves are shot, shes expecting her first kids in November and im really worried, what should I do?

Answer
My worming schedule/regimen for my goats, which has worked well for over 30 years is the following:  Starting at 2 months of age and every 2 months after that the goat gets orally wormed.  I use oral horse wormers, Safeguard (fenbendazole) and Zimectrin (Ivermectin), giving one one time and then at the next 2 month dose date switch to the other.  You use twice the goats body weight to find the closest higher measurement on the plunger, place the lock and give it orally - that's it, you're done for 2 months.  For kid goats and goats whose double weight does not get to 250 pounds on the plunger, you use 1/2 inch length on your finger for kid goats and for small adult goats use 1 inch of the wormer on your finger as a dosing amount.  Both wormers are, of course, considered off label use for goats but they are safe and work very well and are easy to give with no side effects.  Both kill all the worms you are seeing the eggs for.  Also, both are okay for pregnant goats.  The reason I switch between the two wormers/one time for one and then 2 months later switch to the other type, is so worms do not become resistant to one wormer.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres