Goats/Nursing Mom lack of milk

Question
We had  2 baby Pygmy goats on Wednesday and the mom seemed to be feeding them fine, but we noticed one was weak yesterday and found the mom had very little milk. We took them inside and the one was too weak and died. We milked another dairy goat to give them other baby a chance. She seems to be doing better, but her mom still doesn't have milk.  Not sure what to do.

Answer
Jenny
I am SO sorry you lost your baby  :(
I have dealt with this situation and this is what I do and it works wonderfully - I bottle feed the baby/babies and still leave them with mom to nurture them.. Today you will have to find bottles for bottle feeding..  and start a little at a time  (over feeding a baby goat is the worst thing you can do or giving too much at the  first because you are sure the baby is starving is bad too.. ) SO  start with just an ounce or two  about an hour or so later another ounce .. so on  for the first couple days.. it will take a bit for the baby to get used to the bottle and new milk..  it will still suckle from mom for awhile.. leaving it With mom rather than taking it away  to bottle feed.. you have the best of both worlds..  use your dairy goat's milk if you can..  or get store bought whole milk from the grocery..
I have an article I wrote on bottle feeding baby goats - http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/
You need to begin this right away but remember  Less  more often..  esp if  the baby has been without enough milk.. also you can add a bit of molasses Or better yet if you have  Nutridrench..  to the bottle.. just  less than a tsp  for a couple ounces of milk..  over feeding bottle babies is a killer  folks do not realize..
I am So very sorry you lost your baby.

Hope this helps..  Happy New Year!  

Goats

Goatlady