You are here:

Goats/5 day old fainting goat

Advertisement


Question
My goat is 5 days old and was rejected by the mother so i am bottle feeding . He is raspy in his nose and breathing very fast he keeps opening his mouth but no sounds come out i dont know what to do please help

Answer
HI Jenna
have you taken his rectal temp? if so what is it? normal is 101.5 to 103.5 - higher is fever -  if he got something in his lungs due to  drinking  wrong  this could be inhalation pneumonia - antibiotics will only help bacterial pneumonia.
what are you feeding him?  I am wondering with  the information you have given if this is  less a breathing issue and more a life struggle issue ?  :( Sadly a dying baby will hold it's mouth open such as you describe in it's last moments  OR like I said it could be a breathing issue.  (I don;t have much to go on here  I can only try to cover all bases)

Did at any point you  try to  drench him with  a syringe or something and possibly got  liquid in his lungs?  or did he choke on the bottle at any point?  Was he like this at birth?

You can try holding him upside down by his feet and swinging him (make SURE there are no obstacles in the way you will hit him on)  this will force any  liquid (possibly)  out of his windpipe -

Here is my article on bottle feeding:  http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/

My article on pneumonia: http://goat-link.com/content/view/100/91/

and  photos of the Swing BabyTechnique:  http://goat-link.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,45/


take his rectal temp - if it is below 100  his body is shutting down.  feel the inside of his mouth - if it is cold, again his body is shutting down
you "might" be able to help turn him around by  giving him  nutridrench  orally  (this is a liquid sold at most feed stores and online at places like ValleyVet or Jeffers.com - a nutritional supplement that helps babies with energy )

I hope I am wrong in the shutting down theory - and this is simply a snuffy nose from possibly inhaling some liquid and he will be alright - saying a prayer for your baby


I will say one more thing..  most of the time stepping in to save a baby mom is rejecting is successful,  sometimes though the mom seems to know there is something wrong with the baby and nothing can help it - I always try though,  and I'd say  there is usually a 95% chance it works.. BUT there is always that 5% chance   nothing would have helped. I hope this is one of those  in the 95%  chance range - let me know how the baby is or if I can help  in any other way.

read what articles I sent you..  

Goats

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Goatlady

Expertise

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

Experience

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

Organizations
12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

Publications
United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Education/Credentials
Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.