Goats/5 day old fainting goat

Question
My goat is 5 days old and was rejected by the mother so i am bottle feeding . He is raspy in his nose and breathing very fast he keeps opening his mouth but no sounds come out i dont know what to do please help

Answer
HI Jenna
have you taken his rectal temp? if so what is it? normal is 101.5 to 103.5 - higher is fever -  if he got something in his lungs due to  drinking  wrong  this could be inhalation pneumonia - antibiotics will only help bacterial pneumonia.
what are you feeding him?  I am wondering with  the information you have given if this is  less a breathing issue and more a life struggle issue ?  :( Sadly a dying baby will hold it's mouth open such as you describe in it's last moments  OR like I said it could be a breathing issue.  (I don;t have much to go on here  I can only try to cover all bases)

Did at any point you  try to  drench him with  a syringe or something and possibly got  liquid in his lungs?  or did he choke on the bottle at any point?  Was he like this at birth?

You can try holding him upside down by his feet and swinging him (make SURE there are no obstacles in the way you will hit him on)  this will force any  liquid (possibly)  out of his windpipe -

Here is my article on bottle feeding:  http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/

My article on pneumonia: http://goat-link.com/content/view/100/91/

and  photos of the Swing BabyTechnique:  http://goat-link.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,45/

take his rectal temp - if it is below 100  his body is shutting down.  feel the inside of his mouth - if it is cold, again his body is shutting down
you "might" be able to help turn him around by  giving him  nutridrench  orally  (this is a liquid sold at most feed stores and online at places like ValleyVet or Jeffers.com - a nutritional supplement that helps babies with energy )

I hope I am wrong in the shutting down theory - and this is simply a snuffy nose from possibly inhaling some liquid and he will be alright - saying a prayer for your baby

I will say one more thing..  most of the time stepping in to save a baby mom is rejecting is successful,  sometimes though the mom seems to know there is something wrong with the baby and nothing can help it - I always try though,  and I'd say  there is usually a 95% chance it works.. BUT there is always that 5% chance   nothing would have helped. I hope this is one of those  in the 95%  chance range - let me know how the baby is or if I can help  in any other way.

read what articles I sent you..  

Goats

Goatlady