Goats/Switching baby goat to whole milk

Question
QUESTION: On your 4 day process you list half milk and half electrolyte mix. The electrolytes say do not mix with milk. Do i give her a half of electrolyte mix then half milk in separate bottles?

ANSWER: HI Zeriah:

I'm not sure which electrolytes you are using -  the one I use  does not say that (Vi-TaL) but if this is what it says then I think I would give them staggered -  and cute the milk with water instead  - every other bottle give the electrolytes. The idea is to not give all milk  so soon as it may give the gut some upset - breaking into the milk gradually until  the baby is on  all milk.
Which ones are you using?

QUESTION: The electrolytes I am using are called Electrolyte Plus. It is made by the saveacalf company and can be used for several different livestock. My bottle baby goat has had the runs since we got her. While looking for ways to help I found your website and immediately stopped giving her the sav-a-kid milk replacer powder. She seems to be doing better after having the first day of electrolyte mix. She is roughly 5 to 6 days old

Answer
Hi Zeriah

I think in this case I would cut the milk with water and if you want to give the electrolytes do this in between the milk/water bottles.. (every other bottle electrolytes and every other bottle  m,ilk cut with water  for the day you are on)

Just reading the ingredients of the product you sent me -

Dextrose, salt, glycine, sodium bicarbonate, kaolin, citric acid (preservative), potassium chloride, corn starch, sodium silico aluminate, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, dried Bacillus licheniformis fermentation product, potassium citrate, artificial flavor, Yellow 6.

it has  things in it I would not use for my babies personally :

sodium silico aluminate  (Anti-caking agent)
artificial flavor,
artificial color Yellow 6

I use Vi-Tal because it so much to offer in the way of needed  electrolytes,  vitamins and minerals - it has no fillers  so when you add it ti water for any use  ( in the heat of summer etc for all goats or livestock) it goes a long way - whereas most others you add the entire packet to a relatively small amount of water for  the same money or more.

see my  article on  electrolytes here: http://goat-link.com/content/view/59/145

Vi-Tal ingredients:

Salt, Sodium Bicarbonate,Potassium Chloride,Magnesium Sulfate,Vit A supplement, Niacin supplement, VitE supplement,d-calcium pantothenate,Vit D supplement,Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vit K activity),Riboflavin , Vit B12 supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Mamganese Sulfate,Folic acid,Cobalt sulfate,Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide (EDDI is used as an additive in pet food and cattle feed with high bioavailability. Used to prevent iodine deficiency), Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate,Calcium Gluconate  

Goats

Goatlady