Goats/Baby goat

Question
Hi! I have a 3 week old baby Pygmy  goat that was adopted by our mama goat Bella (her 3 week old was killed by a dog) so three days after her baby died we got a week old baby that she adopted, Evie. The two have bonded and are inseparable, but I never see baby Evie drink from mama Bella. Both frequently sleep during the day and only come out when I sit in their pen with them. I tried to bottle feed Evie (she was bottle fed the first week we had her until Bella had fully accepted her) but she will no longer take the bottle. I'm worried she's not getting enough to eat. When she's awake she plays like normal and I've seen her pee, but I have not seen her poop lately. Bella's udder also looks fuller than usual which makes me think Evie isn't getting enough to eat. She also looks just as tiny as when we first got her. Not sure if I just haven't noticed much growth or if she's not growing. She is chewing cud every once and a while, usually when I try to bottle feed. We are located in south Florida.
Should I be worried?

Answer
HI Lauren:

I am SO sorry about your baby  who was killed..

You are SO lucky these two have bonded.. it happens  but not all the time..
sounds like the baby is doing well -  if  the baby plays,  sleeps,  is active,  seems happy,  I would bet she is eating more than you realize..
if she is lethargic,  mopey,  lays around all the time,., sleeps  all the time,, cries out  is thin and seems unhappy  I would  think yes she is not getting enough to eat..

If you are worried about pooping.. you can give her a gentle enema of soapy water..
if she is not pooping her belly would be  round and tight.. and she would not be active - she would not  want to eat and  would begin to  get lethargic.

I would be watching.. maybe for hours.. to see if in fact baby is nursing from new mama
If  Bella's udder is hard and tight .. then I would  think baby is not nursing.. at this young age,,  baby depends on milk..  
when you try to bottle feed are you feeding milk or replacer?
Babies will usually refuse replacers for good reason.

let me send a couple articles for you to read..

baby goat digestion:
http://goat-link.com/content/view/99/86/

bottle feeding baby goats:
http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/

enema for baby goats:
http://goat-link.com/content/view/92/74/

let me know  how she is doing..  I bet she IS nursing but you have not seen it yet..  :)  

Goats

Goatlady