Goats/Discharge

Question
I have a female Boer who expelled a large amount of discharge from her vulva last night, approx 1/2 cup  It has a egg white consistency, kind of marbled clear and white in color. She is eating drinking and chewing her cud as normal. She was bleating a bit. Perhaps she is just in heat?

She has always been a lazy lounger (If she's down resting she never bothers to get up to poop)Perhaps the amount just looks like a lot as she was still for so long while it was coming out. If she was up moving around it wouldn't have accumulated in one spot.

We are in the pacific northwest and she's on alfalfa with a very small amount of grain once a day. She's probably about 5 or 6 yrs old. She shouldn't be bred. She is in with some other goats including a male goat that was wethered Feb 2016 (but he still displays very bucky behaviour)

Any advice?
Thank you

Answer
HI Elizabeth:

Sounds to me like she may be going into labor - I am thinking your wether may have an Undescended testicle and  may have possibly bred her which also would explain his bucky behavior

The discharge and talking  from her is what I am going on here..

Typical Signs of Early Labor (Not necessarily in order):
Appears restless, shys away from herd
Eyes glossy or luminous
Paying much attention to her sides and smelling the ground
Pawing at bedding or dirt
Looking behind her and talking to her sides (typically in a voice you have never heard="mama talk")
Talks to you alot as if she is telling you she is getting ready (she is, so listen)
Gets dreamy eyed or star-gazy (euphoric)
Looks less pregnant than she did before-sides have hollowed out, under-belly is full
Lifts tail frequently and urinates frequently, usually not much urine at a time
Lays down and gets up more than usual-figidty
Udder begins to fill more-looks tight and shiny-teats get full
Vulva becomes flabby then looks flat and opening looks longer
White discharge (this may or may not happen) changing to an egg-white looking discharge, sometimes may have some blood streaking in it.
http://goat-link.com/content/view/36/33

------------------------

Breeding Info:

How to Tell When your Doe is Ready:

There are signs to look for to know when your does are ready to stand for a buck.
The usual heat cycle for a dairy doe is 21 days. She remains in heat for typically 3 days, day #2 being the most active and many breeders wait for day #2 to breed. The most  likely time she will conceive is generally an 18 to 24 hour period somewhere in the middle of this 3 day cycle.
Many times the doe will have a second cycle 3 weeks after her breeding. This should be of no concern. If she comes back into heat 6 weeks after her initial breeding, you may want to consider re breeding her.

Often times, the first heat cycle of the season is a practice cycle. The doe may come in once again in about 7-10 days. This should not be a concern for the first cycle of the year, but if it continues throughout the season, you may want to have her tested for cystic ovaries.

She will begin to vocalize (some of the does are relatively quiet some holler like they have been hit by a car), she will get as near to the buck area as she can, and flag her tail. Her vulva will get puffy and she may or may not have a slight white discharge. If you do not see the discharge, you may still see where it transferred to her under tail where the skin may have some dried matter on it.

Typical signs of a Doe in Estrus:

Much of this happens at night when the temperature cools down.

Decrease in appetite.
Tail Flagging.
May mount other does.
Starting arguments with other does.
Ignoring yearling kids.
She may develop a "crush" on another doe, acting more like a buck than a doe.
Vulva gets pink, swollen and may or may not have a discharge.
Holds her tail to the side more than straight up when a buck approaches.
Hollering for no apparent reason.

The Actual Breeding Goat

This is the time Everyone has been waiting so impatiently for!
You have decided which buck to breed to which doe. You have your calendar in front of you so you know when your kidding dates will happen. Everyone concerned is in tip-top condition.

What to expect:

The buck will approach the doe when first placed with in with her.
He will paw at her, paw the ground and make some really guttural vocalizations.
He will pee on his face and curl his lip up in the air as he holds his head upwards.
His penis will extend out of the sheath and he will spray his front legs and face (and you if you are in the way).
He will saddle up to the doe and rub his face on her face, shoulders, back and butt.
If the doe is not quite ready she may run from him.
If she is ready she will return the favors by rubbing on him and squatting to pee for him. (This shows him she has chosen him for her buck, she may or may not be quite ready to stand for him at this point.)
The buck will stick his face under the stream of urine and then raise his head and curl his lip.
The buck will also flap his tongue at her and this can look really silly but please don't laugh at him. He takes this quite seriously and you would not want to break his spirit or make him feel stupid.
If both are ready, he will mount her - sometimes while she stands still and sometimes on the move.
He will throw his head back as he ejaculates and then dismount her. IF she has been successfully bred, she will crunch up (much like a dog who is defecating) and hold this position for a moment. (This is because the penis actually goes into her far enough to touch the cervix and this gives her a small cramp.)
After a successful breeding he may or may not act "romantic" toward her. He may want to re-breed her.
http://goat-link.com/content/view/78/58/

---------  

Goats

Goatlady