Golf/lost ball off the tee

Tom Baule wrote at 2009-02-24 05:07:37
Hi Eddie,

This is a bad rule, and all golfers know it and rightfully don't abide by it.  It is completely unreasonable to expect a golfer to walk all the way back to the tee after a lost shot, as this would dramatically slow down the pace of play.  

If a golfer did so in the group in front of me, I would certainly voice my opinion to him.  Fortunately I've never seen a golfer rude enough to follow this unreasonable rule.

John N wrote at 2015-09-11 09:15:15
My question is slightly different.  Suppose after 1st drive ball might be lost you take a provisional  under penalty.  You immediately then declare your first ball lost without having looked for it. Does the provisional then become the ball in play? At no more penalties other than the 1 shot for hitting a provisional in the first place?

Eddie Kilthau

I am a PGA golf professional specializing in teaching the game.

I played collegiately at Arizona State University, then turned professional in 1981. I became the shortest player to ever play in the United States Open at Oakmont Country Club in Pittsburgh & missed my PGA Tour card by 2 shots in 1986 at PGA West, La Quinta, California. I have been teaching for 26 years in Phoenix, Arizona & I am currently the Director of Instruction at the Vistal Club in Phoenix and owner of Victory Golfworks.

Business Administration, Arizona State University. PGA Business School I - 1986, PGA Business School II - 1992, PGA Advanced Business School III - 1995. Certified PING Clubfitter - 1999. PGA Teaching & Clubfitting Seminar - 1992. Numerous Southwest Section PGA educational seminars.