Hello again Dathaeus: it has been along time. I have been experimenting with using a lag in my backswing like they used in the  old days with hickory stick clubs, not as exaggerated but still noticeable. i have had good results. why do the pro's not use this backswing? thanks

Hello there... I assume by "lag on the backswing" you are referring to the technique taught by Leadbetters swing setter, where you cock the wrist as early as possible on the backswing?  If so, the pros are varied in that... some do, some dont.  I assume you are referring to guys like Sergio Garcia who seem to have almost no wrist bend on the backswing.

The bottom line is, there are a few things that can hurt you on the backswing that will affect the forward swing negatively.  However, almost every other "eccentricity" on the backswing will not hurt the forward as much as you think.  In fact, I was just teaching this to someone else the other day, the ONLY portion of the swing that is nearly identical to every tour pro is the portion of the swing between the slot and the immediate follow through after the strike where the triangle is formed.  Otherwise, almost anything goes.

So in essence, an early wrist cock on the backswing can help some amateurs with using their wrists more, since it IS the #1 source of power for the golf swing or any swing for that matter... but what really is more important is having that lag and wrist cock in the slot.

If you dont mind, please ask all future questions at my main site, which I am trying to resurrect and add more traffic... its been my site for over a decade but just hadnt marketed out much... it will help me in return, thanks.

- Jay

Hey golfers! I'm here to help you become a better golfer at any level by teaching you what is and not what I want you to be. I do not use one specific "system" and I am not here to promote anything, which means all I care about is your becoming a better player than when you first met me. My only consistency is I teach with a strong base of physics and physiology, because they do not lie, and they are the same throughout this planet and the known universe for humans in this game. I can help you hit with more power, consistency, maintaining effective practice sessions, and learn the proper swing mechanics, etc... So if you want to play better golf and need online instruction, I can answer to your satisfaction. Feel free to also post up a video as many others are already doing (on YouTube or wherever, and will actually be working on a site so you an do this easily with swing analyzers) and I will be glad to take a look as well... just remember to take the front and side views, and include information about the club you are using and your distance hit with that club, and ball flight pattern. I do not study much about the technical aspects of golf equipment and it is hard to suggest the right equipment for you without knowing your game. I would suggest you go demo a few clubs and read up on reviews from various web sites for that, and when you have narrowed down your choice, then I will be glad to help you choose.

I moved down to FL from NYC to become a golf pro, but have since retired from serious play due to injuries and other factors. I have studied and learned most details of the game, and I would love to share my knowledge of basically making anyone out there play better golf, ESPECIALLY the ones that started golf late like I did, in my twenties, which is NOT the same as when you start as a baby. I am pretty much self taught and have dissected the game thoroughly. Having started the game later in my life compared to most pros gives me a unique perspective on the game and its psychology. So if you are just as adamant about improving your game to new heights, ask me and I will help you.

Now also answering more questions at

The Examiner ( Golf Instructional Writer

Horace Mann School, NYC Carnegie Mellon/Manhattan College/Boston University - B.S. Mechanical Engineering PGA National Resort & Spa + Leadbetter Academy (Worked with Donny Lee who now works with Sean Foley in Orlando) Bob Toski (collaborated and learned from him, the one guy who can still shoot his age, AMAZING)