Golf/Tournament pairings that minimize duplicates

Is there a formula for pairings during a 5 or 6 day tournament which will minimize pairing duplications/maximize the number of different golfers each player will be paired with?
Our annual tournament ranges from 10-16 players and is typically a 5-day event.  This year, we only have 10 players.

Hi Steve,

I don't know of a formula, as this is a complex combinatorics problems. I have developed a number of spreadsheets for various number of groups, players and rounds, that minimize the number of duplications and maximies the number of different golfers being paired. I refer to the frequency of pairings as 1-peats, 2-peats, 3-peats, etc.

All you do is type in your players' names and the spreadsheet arranges them into groups that minimize repeats.

Take a look here:

I may have the numbers you're looking for. Or, I can create a new spreadsheet to meet your needs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Ken Tannar

Ken Tannar

I can answer any questions related to the science or mathematics of golf which covers pretty well the whole game.

I am a physics/math teacher and 1 handicap and have a site dedicated to the subject called

B.C. Association of Physics Teachers