Dear Mr. Nunn,

Im someone who likes my irons much better than my woods.  I dont have any fairway woods in my bag because Im not consistent with them.  Now I hit my 5 iron 170 consistently and fairly straight.  I hit my 4 iron 180 yards BUT not as consistent as my 5 iron.  Id like to get a custom made club which uses a 5 iron head attached to a 3 iron other words a longer shaft than what would normally be used for a 5 iron.  Have you ever heard of such a thing.  I know it's unusual but I'm trying to think of ways to get more distance with irons.  Thank you.

hello Germain;

Actually, longer iron shafts are NOT as uncommon as you may think.

My best suggestion is to speak with any of your local PGA club professionals in your area to discuss what you are wanting to do.
Ask them both the benefits of and detriments of the longer shafts.

FYI my shafts area all one inch longer in my clubs.

Robb Nunn
PGA Professional

Robb Nunn

PGA Professional with over 30 plus years experience in the golf industry and sport I can answer almost anything you need about Golf. I am already listed as an expert in the category of Pro-Golfing My only request is. Please No Rules Questions. While I am also a Certified Rules Expert. You can receive answers much more quickly through the USGA. There is a link below Should you need answers to rules questions please refer to this free website. just copy and paste this link into your browser.

PGA Professional with over 30 plus years experience in the golf industry and sport I have worked in virtually every major facet of the golf industry there is. Some of the positions I have held are General Manager, Head Professional, Director of Instruction, Teaching Professional, Club Fitter, Club Designer, Golf Course and Driving Range Design Construction Design and Consulting, Rules Official during Professional tournaments, and also a Playing Professional in Tournaments. My expertise has had me invited and traveled to 5 continents and 16 countries. As you can see the life of a PGA Professional has many more duties that just that of playing or teaching golf.

PGA of America Toastmasters

Publications OC Golf Magazine (blog)

PGA Business Schools 1 and 2

Previously Ranked #26 on the player points list for SCPGA. National Award Winner Presidents Council for Growth of the Game

I keep my client information private. Some of my clients include companies and organizations listed in Fortune 100, 500 and 1000.