QUESTION: Dear Dathaeus,

Iím someone who likes my irons much better than my woods.  I donít have any fairway woods in my bag because Iím not consistent with them.  Now I hit my 5 iron 170 consistently and fairly straight.  I hit my 4 iron 180 yards BUT not as consistent as my 5 iron.  Iíd like to get a custom made club which uses a 5 iron head attached to a 3 iron shaftÖ.in other words a longer shaft than what would normally be used for a 5 iron.  Have you ever heard of such a thing.  I know itís unusual but short of taking lessons to learn how to hit my woods properly, Iím trying to think of ways to get more distance with my long irons.  Thank you,

ANSWER: Hi, sorry for the delay.

The best solution for you is something that gets you more consistent distance with your current iron swing and feel.  The answer is hybrids, or driving irons.  They are the sweetest clubs out there.  I use a driver, 3 wood, and then 2-hybrid (my favorite club in the bag), 4-hybrid, and then 6-LW.  I only have the gap between my 6 iron and 4-hybrid because with the 2 and 4 hybrid, I love them so much, I can cover between 185-245 with them, depending on lie, wind, etc.... I can either hit a high fade with the 4-H into the wind from 170 yds, or hit my 2-H over 250 yd downwind with a hard draw, and everything in between.

Remember, golf is not always about using all your clubs.  It is using your favorite clubs as often as you can.

There are many models of hybrids.  DO NOT get the ones that look like chopped off woods.  Get the ones that are just like an iron, with a small metal/composite piece attached behind the metal.  You do not have to change your swing for these.

Try some at the range, at the shop, and then at the course.  I guarantee you will find at least 2 you will like to cover between your 5-i and 3W.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Hello again Dathaeus,

Can I ask why you said not to get the hybrids that look like chopped off woods but to get the ones that look just like irons.  Thank you.

It is actually both psychological and performance oriented.

1. Visually, during setup, the ones that look more like irons look just like that.  Yes, you can tell yourself to do the "same" swing as your irons, which is much more effective for you with any club.  But why play these mind games when you can play with something that makes you feel like you are still hitting an iron and you CAN do the same swing with no negative effects?  Occams razor applies more and more here.

2. Driving irons FEEL more like irons, heavier and more solid, than wood-like hybrids, which feel a little lighter and the contact feels more "light."  From what you have told me, you will enjoy the driving iron type of hybrids a lot more than wood-like hybrids.

On a side note, I appreciate your 10's rating across the board, but was there a reason you chose to specifically not nominate me?  I would like to know what else I can do in my answers to deserve such an accolade, because even from this followup, I am assuming my answer has been one of the best, of not the best you have received here on this site or anywhere.  We "experts" here do not get paid  dime for our time so this is really all we have to feel like the asker appreciates our answers and thinks they were actually helpful.  Thank you.

Hey golfers! I'm here to help you become a better golfer at any level by teaching you what is and not what I want you to be. I do not use one specific "system" and I am not here to promote anything, which means all I care about is your becoming a better player than when you first met me. My only consistency is I teach with a strong base of physics and physiology, because they do not lie, and they are the same throughout this planet and the known universe for humans in this game. I can help you hit with more power, consistency, maintaining effective practice sessions, and learn the proper swing mechanics, etc... So if you want to play better golf and need online instruction, I can answer to your satisfaction. Feel free to also post up a video as many others are already doing (on YouTube or wherever, and will actually be working on a site so you an do this easily with swing analyzers) and I will be glad to take a look as well... just remember to take the front and side views, and include information about the club you are using and your distance hit with that club, and ball flight pattern. I do not study much about the technical aspects of golf equipment and it is hard to suggest the right equipment for you without knowing your game. I would suggest you go demo a few clubs and read up on reviews from various web sites for that, and when you have narrowed down your choice, then I will be glad to help you choose.

I moved down to FL from NYC to become a golf pro, but have since retired from serious play due to injuries and other factors. I have studied and learned most details of the game, and I would love to share my knowledge of basically making anyone out there play better golf, ESPECIALLY the ones that started golf late like I did, in my twenties, which is NOT the same as when you start as a baby. I am pretty much self taught and have dissected the game thoroughly. Having started the game later in my life compared to most pros gives me a unique perspective on the game and its psychology. So if you are just as adamant about improving your game to new heights, ask me and I will help you.

Now also answering more questions at

The Examiner ( Golf Instructional Writer

Horace Mann School, NYC Carnegie Mellon/Manhattan College/Boston University - B.S. Mechanical Engineering PGA National Resort & Spa + Leadbetter Academy (Worked with Donny Lee who now works with Sean Foley in Orlando) Bob Toski (collaborated and learned from him, the one guy who can still shoot his age, AMAZING)