At address position without the putter touching the ground. I take a back stroke and bring the putter in a forward motion  to the ball without touching the ball to assist with my alignment. Then proceed again with the take away, and make my putting stroke contacting the ball. Do this tally as a penalty stroke?

PS. Does it matter whether the putter touches the ground?

Hello and thank you for asking.

1. A "stroke" counts only when a motion is made with intent to strike the ball for an official play on it.  Obviously if you strike the ball even by mistake, it counts as a stroke.  But as long as you dont touch the ball, you can swing the putter or any club in front of, over, behind or anywhere near the ball as long as there is not genuine INTENT to play the shot on that motion.

2. The only time a putter's touching the ground matter is if the ball moves at address.  They were looking to change this rule, but say it is a highly windy day.  You set up and address the putt, you set the putter on the ground, ready to take or started the backswing, and the ball moves on its own.  That counts as a stroke.  This was to prevent cheaters and other related circumstances where someone could tap the ball closer to the hole and claim they never touched it.  If there are no TV camera replays for it, that would be a hard claim to deny.  However, if you never ground the club, this cannot apply.

This is less common, but if your ball is in a hazard area, of course you cannot ground even a putter to play out of it, as well as ay other club.  That would also be a penalty.

Hope this helps.

Hey golfers! I'm here to help you become a better golfer at any level by teaching you what is and not what I want you to be. I do not use one specific "system" and I am not here to promote anything, which means all I care about is your becoming a better player than when you first met me. My only consistency is I teach with a strong base of physics and physiology, because they do not lie, and they are the same throughout this planet and the known universe for humans in this game. I can help you hit with more power, consistency, maintaining effective practice sessions, and learn the proper swing mechanics, etc... So if you want to play better golf and need online instruction, I can answer to your satisfaction. Feel free to also post up a video as many others are already doing (on YouTube or wherever, and will actually be working on a site so you an do this easily with swing analyzers) and I will be glad to take a look as well... just remember to take the front and side views, and include information about the club you are using and your distance hit with that club, and ball flight pattern. I do not study much about the technical aspects of golf equipment and it is hard to suggest the right equipment for you without knowing your game. I would suggest you go demo a few clubs and read up on reviews from various web sites for that, and when you have narrowed down your choice, then I will be glad to help you choose.

I moved down to FL from NYC to become a golf pro, but have since retired from serious play due to injuries and other factors. I have studied and learned most details of the game, and I would love to share my knowledge of basically making anyone out there play better golf, ESPECIALLY the ones that started golf late like I did, in my twenties, which is NOT the same as when you start as a baby. I am pretty much self taught and have dissected the game thoroughly. Having started the game later in my life compared to most pros gives me a unique perspective on the game and its psychology. So if you are just as adamant about improving your game to new heights, ask me and I will help you.

Now also answering more questions at

The Examiner ( Golf Instructional Writer

Horace Mann School, NYC Carnegie Mellon/Manhattan College/Boston University - B.S. Mechanical Engineering PGA National Resort & Spa + Leadbetter Academy (Worked with Donny Lee who now works with Sean Foley in Orlando) Bob Toski (collaborated and learned from him, the one guy who can still shoot his age, AMAZING)