Golf/Fade shots

Question
Hello Ken,

I`m 54 years old, average build and a 17 handicap.  My swing speed for my driver is 88-95 m.p.h. and I use a regular flex shaft.  Most of my shots (irons and driver) always produce a fade...usually just a slight fade with all of my irons (P.W.to 7 iron) and a fade with my driver.  I don`t mind fades on my irons...especially into the greens but it`s my drives that I`d like to hit straighter).  I`ve tried many things to correct it i.e slightly closed stance, stronger grip to have the club a little more closed at impact, but I still fade the ball.  Should I try an off-set driver.  If not, what would you suggest.  Thank you so much.

Germain

Answer
Hi Germain,

You're still a very young man (I'm 52). My advice would be to change your swing; not buy new equipment. I'd suggest you get some lessons from a local professional.

It's likely that you have an outside-to-inside swing path which typically leads to a fade or slice, especially with the less lofted clubs.

Take a look at my series of golf swing lessons. In particular, look at this page on the swing plane and compare to yourself:
http://www.probablegolfinstruction.com/golf-swing-plane-lesson.htm

You'll find if you get your swing on plane, you'll hit the ball straighter .... and ... farther (because you'll generate more club speed).

Hope this helps.
Ken

Golf

Ken Tannar