Golf/Fade shots

Dear Mr. Hoffman,

I`m 54 years old, average build and a 17 handicap.  My swing speed for my driver is 88-95 m.p.h. and I use a regular flex shaft.  Most of my shots (irons and driver) always produce a fade...usually just a slight fade with all of my irons (P.W. to 7 iron) and a fade with my driver.  I don`t mind fades on my irons...especially into the greens but it`s my drives that I`d like to hit straighter).  I`ve tried many things to correct it i.e slightly closed stance, stronger grip to have the club a little more closed at impact, but I still fade the ball.  Should I try an off-set driver.  If not, what would you suggest.  

Thank you so much.

An off set driver surely should help. It could be your swing path coming from the outside/in during the downnswing with the face of the club slightly open.

Check with your local PGA professional for some help. If you're near the Houston area let me know and I can meet with you.

Good luck,

Michael Hoffman

I have been a golf professional since 1981. I was elected into the PGA in 1987. I attained my master club fitter certificate in 1992. I have given thousands of lessons over the years and I can answer questions about instruction, golf in general, rules, equipment, practice techniques etc. I have served on the board of directors of the Southern Texas PGA for twelve years and was the President from 2002-2003. I am no longer a card carrying PGA member.

I started as as assistant golf professional in 1981. I have been a head golf professional at several clubs as well as the general manager at two clubs. I am master clubfitter and have given many individual as well as group lessons over the years. I was the President of the Southern Texas PGA 4 years ago. I have been a rules official for the tour qualifying school as well as other events. I have won the Merchandiser of the year award in our section twice.