Golf/Golf balls

Question
Hello Mr. Tanner,

I'd like to know if it's worth hitting a lower compression ball once fall arrives and we start getting cooler weather.  My swing is about 90 m.p.h. (driver).  Does it make sense to go to say a 90 compression ball.  Thanks.

Germain

Answer
Hi Germain,

A lower compression ball will likely not make a significant difference in distance but it will feel more like the "summer" high compression ball. A high compression ball will feel harder in colder weather.

You might be able to get a little more backspin with a low compression ball because it's on the clubface a little longer.

Caution, however, that the advertised compressions of golf balls are not necessarily accurate and do have a range of values. Some 80 balls will actually be 90 or 100.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Ken Tannar

Golf

Ken Tannar