Golf/Shaft bend point

Im 54, 58, average build and a 16 handicap with a swing speed (with my driver),  of 94-97 m.p.h.  I have a fairly good swing but I lack the height off the tee with my drives.  I carry about 200-210 yards but I know for sure that I could get more distance if I had better hang time.  My drives are mostly always straight BUT 100% of the time too low (my iron shots as well are usually lower than most players although my shots are quite straight.  I have taken lessons throughout  the years and have tried SO many different things but my flight path is always low.   Heres what Id like to know.  I will be going to get myself fitted with a driver that will give me more loft.  Concerning the shaft, is it a low bend point that will give me a higher launch angle or a high bend point.

What else should I ask for in a driver.

Thank you for your time.

Hello and thank you for asking.  As my profile states, equipment is not my specialty and hopefully someone else here can give you more technical details.

However, a shaft with a higher kick or flex point will USUALLY give someone with your swing speed more loft and distance with the proper flex shaft, probably regular or senior because you are not that tall.  (Shorter shafts require more flex, just physics)

Otherwise, for the drive, I would say make sure you tee up the ball higher if not already.  Usually I advise people to tee it up so that the top of the clubhead at rest on the ground should cute the equator of the teed up ball in half.  In your case, tee the ball up another half inch higher than that, and make SURE you are contacting it on the upswing.  If not, you will pop it up.

As for the irons, the only way to help with equipment there is to get iron heads that have lower center of gravity.  Also if you are a pretty strong guy, you can also add some lead tape as low as you can on the iron head that will lower its center of gravity, i.e., raise your ball flight.

Of course all this is provided that you are not thinning the ball and are making solid contact consistently.

Hope this helps.

Hey golfers! I'm here to help you become a better golfer at any level by teaching you what is and not what I want you to be. I do not use one specific "system" and I am not here to promote anything, which means all I care about is your becoming a better player than when you first met me. My only consistency is I teach with a strong base of physics and physiology, because they do not lie, and they are the same throughout this planet and the known universe for humans in this game. I can help you hit with more power, consistency, maintaining effective practice sessions, and learn the proper swing mechanics, etc... So if you want to play better golf and need online instruction, I can answer to your satisfaction. Feel free to also post up a video as many others are already doing (on YouTube or wherever, and will actually be working on a site so you an do this easily with swing analyzers) and I will be glad to take a look as well... just remember to take the front and side views, and include information about the club you are using and your distance hit with that club, and ball flight pattern. I do not study much about the technical aspects of golf equipment and it is hard to suggest the right equipment for you without knowing your game. I would suggest you go demo a few clubs and read up on reviews from various web sites for that, and when you have narrowed down your choice, then I will be glad to help you choose.

I moved down to FL from NYC to become a golf pro, but have since retired from serious play due to injuries and other factors. I have studied and learned most details of the game, and I would love to share my knowledge of basically making anyone out there play better golf, ESPECIALLY the ones that started golf late like I did, in my twenties, which is NOT the same as when you start as a baby. I am pretty much self taught and have dissected the game thoroughly. Having started the game later in my life compared to most pros gives me a unique perspective on the game and its psychology. So if you are just as adamant about improving your game to new heights, ask me and I will help you.

Now also answering more questions at

The Examiner ( Golf Instructional Writer

Horace Mann School, NYC Carnegie Mellon/Manhattan College/Boston University - B.S. Mechanical Engineering PGA National Resort & Spa + Leadbetter Academy (Worked with Donny Lee who now works with Sean Foley in Orlando) Bob Toski (collaborated and learned from him, the one guy who can still shoot his age, AMAZING)