Golf/woman's club

"I'm rather new to golf. I want to play golf with my wife but I heard from a sporting goods store that I have to buy a separate set of clubs for her. Is it true that there is a different size set of clubs for women, and that women cannot play the game using men's golf clubs?"

Hello there and thank you for asking.

That is partially true.  For true beginners who mishit the ball more than not, it really doesnt matter.  However what does matter more if the length and lie of the club.  I know that sounds counter-intuitive where I am telling you it doesnt matter and then I get all technical.  The thing is, if you compare this to a pair of shoes, what doesnt matter is the type of insole, laces, leather, and glue.  What DOES matter is the length and width, hope that makes sense.

Sometimes, ladies can choke up on a men's club and use it ok.  All depends on the lady's strength etc...

Either way, no one should be buying a set of clubs unless they are sure they will be playing this game consistently in the future, since a new decent set is an investment.  I always suggest to beginners that they should jus go on eBay, with help from a pro, and pick just 5 lose clubs for like $70, with the right length, lie, and flex, and use those until you know you want to play some more.  You can play with 5 clubs until you are like a 20 handicap believe it or not, and actually makes you learn the game faster.

I suggest for a lady, the driver, 5 wood, 7 wood, 9 wood or 7iron, pitching wedge and putter.  Either dont consider the putter as a club, or just get a 7 or 9 wood, or just one, wont really matter believ me!  When in doubt, get the shorter club.

Hope this helps.

Hey golfers! I'm here to help you become a better golfer at any level by teaching you what is and not what I want you to be. I do not use one specific "system" and I am not here to promote anything, which means all I care about is your becoming a better player than when you first met me. My only consistency is I teach with a strong base of physics and physiology, because they do not lie, and they are the same throughout this planet and the known universe for humans in this game. I can help you hit with more power, consistency, maintaining effective practice sessions, and learn the proper swing mechanics, etc... So if you want to play better golf and need online instruction, I can answer to your satisfaction. Feel free to also post up a video as many others are already doing (on YouTube or wherever, and will actually be working on a site so you an do this easily with swing analyzers) and I will be glad to take a look as well... just remember to take the front and side views, and include information about the club you are using and your distance hit with that club, and ball flight pattern. I do not study much about the technical aspects of golf equipment and it is hard to suggest the right equipment for you without knowing your game. I would suggest you go demo a few clubs and read up on reviews from various web sites for that, and when you have narrowed down your choice, then I will be glad to help you choose.

I moved down to FL from NYC to become a golf pro, but have since retired from serious play due to injuries and other factors. I have studied and learned most details of the game, and I would love to share my knowledge of basically making anyone out there play better golf, ESPECIALLY the ones that started golf late like I did, in my twenties, which is NOT the same as when you start as a baby. I am pretty much self taught and have dissected the game thoroughly. Having started the game later in my life compared to most pros gives me a unique perspective on the game and its psychology. So if you are just as adamant about improving your game to new heights, ask me and I will help you.

Now also answering more questions at

The Examiner ( Golf Instructional Writer

Horace Mann School, NYC Carnegie Mellon/Manhattan College/Boston University - B.S. Mechanical Engineering PGA National Resort & Spa + Leadbetter Academy (Worked with Donny Lee who now works with Sean Foley in Orlando) Bob Toski (collaborated and learned from him, the one guy who can still shoot his age, AMAZING)